Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Roughneck other stuff

Roughneck other stuff

ok....as you've seen on my new sewing machine case it is covered over with duck canvas. I had some left over so I made the following:

Name:  front of imp caddy.jpg
Views: 2113
Size:  53.1 KB Name:  IMG_0872.JPG
Views: 2117
Size:  56.3 KB Name:  imp stand and case.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  50.1 KB Name:  machine table.jpg
Size:  44.1 KB

The A-frame looking pics are a 'caddy' type of case to hold (hopefully) all the sewing implements I will need for whatever project I plan on working on at the quilt shop and the one pic also shows a bag I made to put the caddy in incase anything might fall out of it. Then I had just enough to cover a piece of styrofoam for the table for the machine bed which I got the idea from a Margaret (some years back but I don't remember her last name...you might be able to find her somewhere out there). I had fun making these sewing machine helpers and I'm looking forward to going to the open sewing at the quilt shop. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sorry about that last pic...it wasn't needed but I couldn't delete it.

Neat things, I especially like the Styrofoam bed extension.

Blog Entries
    Looks like fun toys.......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
    Neat things, I especially like the Styrofoam bed extension.
    this piques my interest as well
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sew Freak View Post
    ok....as you've seen on my new sewing machine case it is covered over with duck canvas. I had some left over so I made the following:

Name:  front of imp caddy.jpg
Views: 2113
Size:  53.1 KB Name:  IMG_0872.JPG
Views: 2117
Size:  56.3 KB Name:  imp stand and case.jpg
Size:  50.1 KB Name:  machine table.jpg
Size:  44.1 KB

The A-frame looking pics are a 'caddy' type of case to hold (hopefully) all the sewing implements I will need for whatever project I plan on working on at the quilt shop and the one pic also shows a bag I made to put the caddy in incase anything might fall out of it. Then I had just enough to cover a piece of styrofoam for the table for the machine bed which I got the idea from a Margaret (some years back but I don't remember her last name...you might be able to find her somewhere out there). I had fun making these sewing machine helpers and I'm looking forward to going to the open sewing at the quilt shop. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and thanks for looking.
    you did a great job! you'll be the envy of all the other sewists at the shop
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    As I said before you are very creative. I am sure when other people see what you have done they will say "Where did you get that". Then they will want the pattern. Way to go girl. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Does the caddy fold up?

Good job!!

great job
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Quote Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
    Does the caddy fold up?
    Yes the caddy does fold. It is built kinda A-frame style. As you can see under the opening of the A-frame where the blue case is there is a piece of pizza cardboard (cut to size obviously) to help hold it up and then as you can see it looks like it sits on another piece of canvas where the bottom of the A-frame is sewn so it won't 'do the splits.' I used leftover clear plastic to make the see-thru pockets....but it was very thin and I didn't want to buy the thicker plastic. So if anyone is curious about it I would definitely use a thicker plastic to aid in it not tearing so easily. I will be very careful with it as I don't look forward to replacing it....LOL!

Love the idea of the machine extension. It looks like you covered the machine extension with plastic. Did you? What thickness of styrofoam did you use?
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

What a handy caddy. I like that it opens up and stands up on it's own. Did you have a pattern or did you make it up on your own?

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    Love the idea of the machine extension. It looks like you covered the machine extension with plastic. Did you? What thickness of styrofoam did you use?
    I used a piece of left over 2" styrofoam and yes the duck cloth is covered in plastic. I also had a piece of very thin plastic (54"w) but I wouldn't do it again in the thin stuff. They sell a fairly thick grade of pliable plastic which may be a bit too thick for some but a grade down would probably be your best bet. I used a hot glue gun but on the thin plastic it melted through in some spots if you're not careful. I also used tape and T-pins where they are mostly hidden on the underside of the table ext. Hope this helps. if not....let me know.

Thanks for the info, Sew Freak. I'll have to get DH to make one for me. That's a lot cheaper than buying a ready made one.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Nice work, and very creative!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Very creative. Great job!

Nice job. I imagine that bright yellow really brings the sunshine into your sewing room.