Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Round Robin inspiration

  1. #1
    Senior Member vbourck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    427
    I went to a local guild quilt show last weekend and saw a beautiful round robin quilt that really encouraged me as we are beginning a new set of round robins on this board. I took a couple of pictures, since there are so many of us working on one now, to see a finished one and get some really great ideas. The colors were much prettier in person, but you can still see how nice it is.

    round robin quilt
    Name:  Attachment-29089.jpe
Views: 667
Size:  74.1 KB

    close up of borders
    Name:  Attachment-29090.jpe
Views: 263
Size:  82.3 KB

  2. #2
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    Very pretty!!

  3. #3
    Super Member karenm36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gonzales, Tx
    Posts
    1,751
    Oh my goodness, that is beautiful!!! I'd love to give that quilt a new home... ;-D

  4. #4
    Senior Member Maybe1day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    835
    Thank you for the lovely pictures Vicki, gosh what timing too. I had just drawn out the design for my next border and what I was considering doing is much the same as one of these borders so I guess it is back to the drawing board now.

    Is so lovely seeing an actual finished round robin quilt as they're so inspiring. Have been looking at some of the pictures on this board for finished quilts from the last round robin also.

  5. #5
    Senior Member vbourck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    427
    Now why would it be back tothe drawing board? If it is like one of these borders, it will be lovely- I say keep it if you like it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Maybe1day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    835
    Oh I probably will use the ideas I have been accumulating since joining the round robin. Now I have even more of them.

    Have been listing or drawing ideas for borders since seeing all our quilt centres. Will not really know which border I will use until I see the actual centre in the flesh so to speak.

    Have even written down some colour ideas but of course we all know how quilts love to surprise us :lol:

  7. #7
    Super Member mequilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NE Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,161
    Beautiful!! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

  8. #8
    Super Member twixbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In Hiding.
    Posts
    2,245
    Beautiful

  9. #9
    Super Member coastienest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northeasten PA
    Posts
    1,560
    Asking a dumb question but what is a round robin quilt? See, told you it was dumb

  10. #10
    Super Member rootyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Selkirk, NY
    Posts
    9,705
    Blog Entries
    1
    Beautiful!

  11. #11
    Super Member Blue Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    4,005
    Awesome quilt.

  12. #12
    Senior Member vbourck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by coastienest
    Asking a dumb question but what is a round robin quilt? See, told you it was dumb
    There is no such thing as a dumb question-
    a round robin quilt is a group effort where each member of the group makes a center and then they each send their center to the next person in the group, where a border is added. The centers are mailed around the group until all have completed a border, usually each border gets successively wider. Now look at the above quilt and you will see each border that was added by a different person.
    Currently on this board there are at least 14 groups of six working on round robin quilts. I hope that long sentence makes sense!

  13. #13
    Super Member mollymct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    2,348
    That is gorgeous!! I lurk on the RR threads sometimes. I think (someday, after acquiring more skill and speed!) that would be awesome to participate in.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sparta, TN
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by vbourck
    Quote Originally Posted by coastienest
    Asking a dumb question but what is a round robin quilt? See, told you it was dumb
    There is no such thing as a dumb question-
    a round robin quilt is a group effort where each member of the group makes a center and then they each send their center to the next person in the group, where a border is added. The centers are mailed around the group until all have completed a border, usually each border gets successively wider. Now look at the above quilt and you will see each border that was added by a different person.
    Currently on this board there are at least 14 groups of six working on round robin quilts. I hope that long sentence makes sense!
    Very beautiful but beyond me. Who gets to keep the finished quilt? I will volunteer for all give aways.

  15. #15
    Senior Member KiwiQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
    Posts
    957
    That is just delightful. What a lovely quilt.

  16. #16
    kreinhart742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    White City Oregon
    Posts
    719
    Wow that is just stunning, and they are so fun to be a part of.

  17. #17
    Super Member Toto's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    N. Texas
    Posts
    1,776
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymct
    That is gorgeous!! I lurk on the RR threads sometimes. I think (someday, after acquiring more skill and speed!) that would be awesome to participate in.
    Lurking, too, huh? I just LOVE watching what each one comes up with, and how they all come together so beautifully.
    This one is my favorite colors, too!

  18. #18
    Junior Member sewlittletime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    263
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vbourck
    Quote Originally Posted by coastienest
    Asking a dumb question but what is a round robin quilt? See, told you it was dumb
    There is no such thing as a dumb question-
    a round robin quilt is a group effort where each member of the group makes a center and then they each send their center to the next person in the group, where a border is added. The centers are mailed around the group until all have completed a border, usually each border gets successively wider. Now look at the above quilt and you will see each border that was added by a different person.
    Currently on this board there are at least 14 groups of six working on round robin quilts. I hope that long sentence makes sense!

    Glad you asked, I didnt know what it meant either. Now we know Thank you

  19. #19
    Super Member LETIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Corse - FRANCE
    Posts
    1,504
    Very pretty!!

  20. #20
    Senior Member Maybe1day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    835
    Mollmct, I havenít been quilting for very long myself (4yrs since I took it up but had just over a years break from doing anything while we were in limbo from moving and then had 8 month break last year while having my cancer treatment) So you can tell from this that I still consider myself quite new to it all.
    TN Donna, the centre of each quilt being worked on belongs to the person who made it and the finished quilt (as in top) is returned to the person who made that centre.
    I jumped in with both feet and am as nervous as a cat on a tin roof, one of those real slippery ones however am loving the challenge and seeing the centres develop in each group.

    Maybe1day

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sparta, TN
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybe1day
    Mollmct, I havenít been quilting for very long myself (4yrs since I took it up but had just over a years break from doing anything while we were in limbo from moving and then had 8 month break last year while having my cancer treatment) So you can tell from this that I still consider myself quite new to it all.
    TN Donna, the centre of each quilt being worked on belongs to the person who made it and the finished quilt (as in top) is returned to the person who made that centre.
    I jumped in with both feet and am as nervous as a cat on a tin roof, one of those real slippery ones however am loving the challenge and seeing the centres develop in each group.

    Maybe1day
    I think it would be a challenge but yet fun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.