Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
sample block of snowflake star >

sample block of snowflake star

sample block of snowflake star

Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 AM

It is fused and with suede there is no need to sew down the edges. It's a technique I noticed about two or three years ago in a quilt store in Jackson, WY during our local shop hop. It is slowly catching on, probably slowly because of the expense of brushed suede. I would really, really love to try this technique. The above was done by a little old lady in her late 80's who is a bit arthritic and I figure if she can do it so can I. Now I just need to pry all the details out of her on how she cut it and all that. :lol:
~Tiffany
Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 AM

Tiffany, it was beautiful.. I used a box cutter(razor blade type) to cut mine out. But my fabric was just bleached muslin, so it was fairly easy.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 AM

I have an exacto knife and when I actually get to where I can try this technique I hope it works. If not, I'm going to go looking for my husband's box cutters! :lol:
~Tiffany
Old 01-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Administrator

i like two things about that snowflake.

1. - it's reeeeeeelly nice all by itself so will be more than stunning all over a quilt

2. you are not going to make me feel inadequate by doing traditional needle turn. i still haven't recovered from my attempt to do that one tulip nearly a year ago. :lol:
Old 01-28-2008, 05:43 PM

Tiffany, Somewhere, I do have an exacto knife, but rather than spend several days or a lifetime hunting it, I used the box cutter! He doesn't seem to lose as many thing as I do! LOL

Patrice, I like applique, but I like things done quickly, so I used fusible webbing. I still have to top stitch it in place, but at least I got a real fast idea of what it will look like!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 PM

Vicki - did you find the pattern you were looking for or did you design that yourself? It is really a cool snowflake.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 PM

Vicki- It looks pretty the way it is now, but I agree on the blue-gray background! I look forward to seeing more!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:14 AM

I tried emailing the magazine several times. First time they said they had no back issues. I wrote back and explained that I had the mag, but needed the name of the designer. They recommended 2 web sites--no luck. Third time, they said they would pass my request on to someone to help me. No response again. I gave up and this is my version. Hope they don't come after me, but I certainly tried my best. The magazine said the pattern was on line, but that was a mistake. It wasn't there. Other patterns from that issue were there, but not the snowflake.
It seems like somebody would know about the pattern since they showed it in the magazine. Whoever is in charge of their email did not know anything about it.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i like two things about that snowflake...
2. you are not going to make me feel inadequate by doing traditional needle turn. i still haven't recovered from my attempt to do that one tulip nearly a year ago. :lol:
ROFL :lol: I'll tell you the same thing I tell new quilters, there is no such thing as the perfect technique for everyone. I'm not a fan of fusible applique and yet I have friends who turn out amazing pieces using this technique. Thankfully the quilt world seems to be big enough for all of us, those who do traditional applique and even those odd people who choose to use other techniques. ;)
~Tiffany
Old 01-30-2008, 04:38 AM

I stand tall and admit I am one of the odd ones!!!!! I am so glad there are no quilt police to say that my way is the wrong way :lol: :lol: :lol: