Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 109

Thread: Scrap Family

  1. #1
    Senior Member SlightlyOffQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    378

    Scrap Family

    The dictionary defines a scrap as a small piece of something, especially one that is left over after the greater part has been used. It is those left over bits, not large enough or useful enough to be used on its own.

    Name:  DSCN2988.jpg
Views: 4010
Size:  709.3 KB

    As a quilter, I save my scraps, as I know alot of us do. The reason we save them, is usually to make a scrap quilt, or to use in applique, or some other project that may only need a small piece. Many quilters have their own opinions on what constitutes a scrap. For some a scrap is anything smaller than a fat quarter, for others it is as small as a 1 inch square, for even others, even crumbs are kept.
    I have been working on a scrap quilt this month as part of my Project Quilting off season challenge for May. It was not until tonight that I had any idea who it was going to be gifted to. But I know now. And more importantly, I know why. Sometimes when I am making a quilt, I know ahead of time, who it is going to be fore, so I take that into consideration when I am choosing pattern and fabrics. Other times once a quilt is finished , someone will love it so much that I gift it to them. With this quilt, I had no idea. I just knew that there was a challenge, and I was going to take it !

    Name:  DSCN3013.jpg
Views: 4019
Size:  711.1 KB

    Like I said, this quilt decided to speak to me, while I was quilting it tonight. I was quilting away, and smiling as I came across a fabric that I could remember what quilt I had used it in before this particular piece became a scrap. There are memories of past quilts in all of the scraps that make up this one. I did not cut any fresh fabric for it, other than the backing. So each new color, each new design, holds a place in my memory. I can tell you who the quilt was made for, the occasion it was made for, and probably what mistakes I made when making it !

    Name:  DSCN3046.jpg
Views: 3999
Size:  717.0 KB

    It dawned on me then, that for me, looking at this quilt was like looking at a family picture album. Alot of different people , all sewn together into this crazy thing we call Family. Some of us were born into it. Some married into it. Some started out as friends, but get pulled into the fold . And sometimes they marry in, but get divorced, and yet we still keep them, because they are family. It takes alot for us to let go of someone ! We have had our share of losses. Some of us more than our share. Some we lost to age, others we lost far too soon. But they are always with us.

    Name:  DSCN3048.jpg
Views: 4017
Size:  856.4 KB

    We are all just scraps. Bits and pieces of ” something greater” that have been stitched together in this quilt of life. Alone, we may not look like much. Some of us are older, some are more ” modern” , some shine bright, while others are more subdued. Yet once you add those stitches that bind us, they make us stronger as a whole. Together, as a family, we are stunning !

    Name:  Quilt 64 - Scrap Family.jpg
Views: 4073
Size:  1,003.5 KB

    Name:  Quilt 64 - Scrap Family - Back.jpg
Views: 3989
Size:  754.7 KB
    If you ever see a quilt without any flaws, rest assured that I did not make it ! http://slightlyoffquilter.com

  2. #2
    Junior Member judy5cents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    190
    Your quilt is stunning, I am sure the recipient is going to be very happy!

  3. #3
    Super Member oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    1
    You tell your scrappy story so well and what a beautiful quilt.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

  4. #4
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    20,103
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    You tell your scrappy story so well and what a beautiful quilt.

    She said itperfectly.

  5. #5
    Super Member nanacc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,484
    Blog Entries
    1
    Your quilt and your story are a beautiful collection of memories to treasure.

  6. #6
    Power Poster JuneBillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    11,708
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love your quilt, and especially your story along with the pictures. It made me smile. Thank you!
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

    Susan

  7. #7
    Super Member busy fingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,431
    Thank you for sharing your gorgeous scrappy quilt and what a lovely way to describe it. Spot on. Well done.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    434
    wow,that quilt is amazing.
    Nice to see this.
    JOHN

  9. #9
    Senior Member tron80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    542
    Blog Entries
    2
    Amazing quilt! and beautiful words...

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, GA
    Posts
    136
    Great quilt. Great story.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    brooklyn michigan
    Posts
    1,920
    nice story and great quilt

  12. #12
    Super Member DianneK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Liberty, Pa
    Posts
    2,058
    amazing....still don't understand how you ladies can quilt a full size quilt on your domestic machines! You did a beautiful job

  13. #13
    Senior Member Wendys Quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Fleming Island, FL
    Posts
    767
    Blog Entries
    1
    Amen!!! And I love your quilt!!!!



    Quote Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
    The dictionary defines a scrap as a small piece of something, especially one that is left over after the greater part has been used. It is those left over bits, not large enough or useful enough to be used on its own.

    Name:  DSCN2988.jpg
Views: 4010
Size:  709.3 KB

    As a quilter, I save my scraps, as I know alot of us do. The reason we save them, is usually to make a scrap quilt, or to use in applique, or some other project that may only need a small piece. Many quilters have their own opinions on what constitutes a scrap. For some a scrap is anything smaller than a fat quarter, for others it is as small as a 1 inch square, for even others, even crumbs are kept.
    I have been working on a scrap quilt this month as part of my Project Quilting off season challenge for May. It was not until tonight that I had any idea who it was going to be gifted to. But I know now. And more importantly, I know why. Sometimes when I am making a quilt, I know ahead of time, who it is going to be fore, so I take that into consideration when I am choosing pattern and fabrics. Other times once a quilt is finished , someone will love it so much that I gift it to them. With this quilt, I had no idea. I just knew that there was a challenge, and I was going to take it !

    Name:  DSCN3013.jpg
Views: 4019
Size:  711.1 KB

    Like I said, this quilt decided to speak to me, while I was quilting it tonight. I was quilting away, and smiling as I came across a fabric that I could remember what quilt I had used it in before this particular piece became a scrap. There are memories of past quilts in all of the scraps that make up this one. I did not cut any fresh fabric for it, other than the backing. So each new color, each new design, holds a place in my memory. I can tell you who the quilt was made for, the occasion it was made for, and probably what mistakes I made when making it !

    Name:  DSCN3046.jpg
Views: 3999
Size:  717.0 KB

    It dawned on me then, that for me, looking at this quilt was like looking at a family picture album. Alot of different people , all sewn together into this crazy thing we call Family. Some of us were born into it. Some married into it. Some started out as friends, but get pulled into the fold . And sometimes they marry in, but get divorced, and yet we still keep them, because they are family. It takes alot for us to let go of someone ! We have had our share of losses. Some of us more than our share. Some we lost to age, others we lost far too soon. But they are always with us.

    Name:  DSCN3048.jpg
Views: 4017
Size:  856.4 KB

    We are all just scraps. Bits and pieces of ” something greater” that have been stitched together in this quilt of life. Alone, we may not look like much. Some of us are older, some are more ” modern” , some shine bright, while others are more subdued. Yet once you add those stitches that bind us, they make us stronger as a whole. Together, as a family, we are stunning !

    Name:  Quilt 64 - Scrap Family.jpg
Views: 4073
Size:  1,003.5 KB

    Name:  Quilt 64 - Scrap Family - Back.jpg
Views: 3989
Size:  754.7 KB

  14. #14
    Super Member helou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    1,389
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by tron80 View Post
    Amazing quilt! and beautiful words...
    exactly! thank you for sharing.

  15. #15
    Senior Member adnil458's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    567
    Blog Entries
    35
    Oh my goodness ... Awesome & wow

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    45
    I believe that this particular quilt recipient should be YOU. Your life is wrapped up in this quilt and that is what you should do with it. Wrap yourself up in your beautiful memories!

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    proctor,wv
    Posts
    1,248
    Love your scrappy and your story. Nicely written

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,543
    The quilt is great, but the story/thoughts with it even better. Thanks for sharing!

  19. #19
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    44,295
    Blog Entries
    45
    great quilt... and thanks for the picture story
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?


  20. #20
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VIRGINIA
    Posts
    22,678
    its a great scrappy you do nice work!!!
    QUILTNMO

  21. #21
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,204
    nicely executed.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

  22. #22
    Super Member Moonglow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,398
    This is a beautiful quilt. Lovely story.

  23. #23
    Super Member mtkoldra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,114
    beautiful quilt and what a lovely writing to go with it

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Morganton, Ga
    Posts
    942
    Thanks for the great story and pictures. Scrap quilts are a favorite of mine.

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,002
    Quote Originally Posted by NCUTE2 View Post
    I believe that this particular quilt recipient should be YOU. Your life is wrapped up in this quilt and that is what you should do with it. Wrap yourself up in your beautiful memories!
    Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this! It's beautiful and has such an interesting story - almost the story of your life so you should keep and enjoy!! You did a wonderful job on it!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.