Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scrappy twister WIP

Blog Entries
    Ok so I got anxious to try this method. I have not gotten my pattern or ruler yet but hey I thought I can do this.... :roll:
    So here we go.. I started out with my 4 1/2" in Go Baby blocks. Asked for alittle help on the QB. so now this is what I have gotten done so far. Not sure how it is going to turn out in the end but hey I tried. lol..
    I think I should have started with a smaller amount of squares but I figured I would make it into a lap throw..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did you cut it up yet? I made one for my sil for Christmas! Was a lot of fun. I was too impatient to order a ruler so just made my own. turned out great! Can't wait to see yours. Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Did you cut it up yet? I made one for my sil for Christmas! Was a lot of fun. I was too impatient to order a ruler so just made my own. turned out great! Can't wait to see yours. Good Luck!
    I ordered the ruler and the pattern but it has yet to get here.. I am woried how it is goin to look finished but hey like I said I will use it for a lap quilt if nothing else.. hehehehe

QM
    I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Blog Entries
    How did you make your own ruler? I keep seeing these beautiful quilts made from the Twister and want to make one. Sooner or later.

The 3 1/2" Lil twister template you ordered calls for 5" squares so your blocks may not be big enough.
    I would recommend you look through the twister topics and figure out how to make a 3" twister. They would probably work with 4 1/2" squares. Make your marks at 3/4".

Here is one with lots of info:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57130-1.htm
    Be sure and read page 6.
    good luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arbed31
    How did you make your own ruler? I keep seeing these beautiful quilts made from the Twister and want to make one. Sooner or later.

Lol if you want to call it a ruler.. lol.. I made a 3 1/2 square od cardboard. sewed the blocks together and checked to make sure it was going to work. Good thing I checked.. 3 1/2 was to big soooooo I cut it down to 3 since my starting blocks were only 4 1/2 " and not the normal 5". I just marked off one of my other rulers on the back side to 3" and drew my lines on scotch tape on the back side of the ruler.
    So I have started cutting now and her eis what is coming out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by fidgety

Lol if you want to call it a ruler.. lol.. I made a 3 1/2 square od cardboard. sewed the blocks together and checked to make sure it was going to work. Good thing I checked.. 3 1/2 was to big soooooo I cut it down to 3 since my starting blocks were only 4 1/2 " and not the normal 5". I just marked off one of my other rulers on the back side to 3" and drew my lines on scotch tape on the back side of the ruler.
    And you were worried it wouldn't look right :) I love it. Good thing you checked the 3.5. Looks great though. I have yet to do anything scrappy. It intimidates me :) Very nice

I did 8 inch squares. And then I used my 6.5 inch ruler and drew lines an inch and a half from each corner. So from the right corner I went in to the left. The top left corner I went down. I drew on my ruler with a permanent marker. The 8 inch squares just barely worked. I think I did a 6 inch border. Anyways that's what I did. I actually got a bit of help from another member. good luck

looking good hope to see it when finished.

Quote Originally Posted by QM
    I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
    Ditto! It looks great so far.

It's looking good!

Blog Entries
    Ok so it is 10:30 pm eastern time and I just finished cutting the squares out of the squares lol..( That sounds funny :mrgreen:) here they are all numbered so I dont screw it up...:roll: :roll:
    Ok so tomorrow maybe I will get a start at sewing them back together. More pics tomorrow. :wink:

Can't wait to see how it turns out tomorrow!

Gonna be a good one!

Blog Entries
    Thanks! You did a great job, now I have to give it a try.

How do you determine the width of the border?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. Now if life would stop getting in the way I could make one!

I did 8 inch squares. And then I used my 6.5 inch ruler and drew lines an inch and a half from each corner. So from the right corner I went in to the left. The top left corner I went down. I drew on my ruler with a permanent marker. The 8 inch squares just barely worked. I think I did a 6 inch border. Anyways that's what I did. I actually got a bit of help from another member. good luck

Blog Entries
    I got help on the Qb with that one. Mine was 3" but I made sure before I cut anything that I was going to be able to cut the square without going outside th borfer fabric if that made any sense.. :lol: :shock: :?:

No new updates today.. I didnt get to sew today.. shooting for tomorrow.. :cry:

Blog Entries
    how odd to make a quilt so you can cut it up to make a quilt.
    what do you call this ??

Exciting! I love seeing photos of the different steps!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009
    what do you call this ??
    Lol it is called the twister dreamer... but I call it kind of silly with great results..lol.. My Dh said I liked it before you cut it again!!! :roll:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009
    what do you call this ??
    Lol it is called the twister dreamer... but I call it kind of silly with great results..lol.. My Dh said I liked it before you cut it again!!! :roll:
    well keep posting pics of progress so we see it to the end :)

Blog Entries
    Ok so I got to sew today.. here is the results... This turned out alot smaller than I thought it was going to. I guess it will be a table topper instead of a lapquilt. lol. :roll: :mrgreen:

squares sewn into strips.
    Name:  Attachment-165087.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  65.5 KB

strips sewn together.. Now I need to quilt it..
    Name:  Attachment-165088.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  68.1 KB

It's going to be awesome!!!

Love it! Looks great

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast