Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
scraps--the good news, more good news, the bad news, the good news and a ? >

scraps--the good news, more good news, the bad news, the good news and a ?

scraps--the good news, more good news, the bad news, the good news and a ?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:05 PM

I have a box of scraps along with the purple little tote you see. Also...in the first picture, you can see a wire bin looking thing. It's supposed to be a laundry hamper. I use it for all my cuttings. Most of the time, they hit the bin, but by the looks of the floor, some didn't make it. Once it's sort of full, I go thru it and take out the bigger pieces and put them in my scraps. Once in a while, I will find some paper trash in there, but a stern warning to the family that it is not a trash can works.

I was really waiting for some one to yell at me to clean my room! lol
Hubby walked by it this morning and shook his head. I just smile. He knows it will be straightened out. He has to help me. I can't reach the top of the closet and sometimes he just comes in and folds or refolds for me. He's good at sorting scraps too!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:35 PM

Hi Barnbum
I don’t have as many scraps as you, but I’m working on it.
One day I seen an infomercial for the “Tote Trac” system.
Told dh “what a clever idea”. This is just a small section in my garage
of the Tote Trac system installed. They cover most of the ceiling. I have my very own section for my scraps.
I also put my scraps in medium “space bags” those bags that you vacuum out the air
and it triples your storage space. That way I can get more in each tote. I’ve freed up a lot of closet space. Now I got more
room to get more fabrics etc. You know we can never have enough stuff.
Good Luck with your organization project.

Tote trac system in my garage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1304[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1304.jpe  
Old 05-08-2008, 03:39 PM

That's pretty cool!
I would do somethng like that here, but (1) I don't have a garage (2) ALL my walls are cement (3) I am renting (4) I couldn't reach way up there!

Plus, my saying is...out of sight, out of mind. Since that would be OVER my head, I wouldn't see it and would have to go buy more fabric. Is that a bad thing? lol
Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Hubby would think it was a good idea to do something like that. But, like I said, I'd forget about it because it's up high, over my head. He'd remind me that it was there everytime I would come home with new fabric. I'd just have to tell him....well honey! It's over my head! I can't see it....sorry! lol
Old 05-08-2008, 04:01 PM

That is a neat idea, but my dh hates when I stand on things. Firstly I suppose because I will stand on anything handy, a stool, the kitchen table, an old chair, etc., and secondly because I am not the most able bodied person. Awww, isn't that sweet he worries about me.

I think you must be super organized to have something like that. After all with all those totes, how in the world would you know what was where?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:31 PM

I too want to work on scrap projects, but I'm in the process now of psyching myself up to start a One Block Wonder project.

I keep some of my stuff in a plastic tub, but most of it is in large trash bags just sitting in the room.

It is sort of out of sight, out of mind. A couple years ago, I bought four yards of this black fabric with electric blue peacocks on it and I have been looking for it ever since ...
Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 PM

One of these days, I'll get to do the same. I only have 12 of the 30 gal. garbage bags full of just scraps. Maybe once, we move, I'll make a bunch of crumb quilts. I gave away 17 bags, the same size, about 2 years ago.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:33 PM

I don't have enough scraps yet to worry about, but my sister does and she uses hers just like the previous post, she starts sewing and pulls them out of her scrap bag. She will add pieces and not worry about the shape or anything. I organized my material using the rolling plastic carts and I put material together by color. My flannels are together and projects are in baskets by themselves.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-47923.jpe  
Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 PM

oops wrong picture
Attached Thumbnails attachment-47787.jpe  
Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 PM

Scraps??? SCRAPS you say??? Barnbum, there are potential projects in those boxes. I keep my "scraps" w/ all my fabric, sorted by color, in those closet organizers--wire hanging baskets. I fold the "yardage" and try to pile the "scraps" around the good stuff.

I love to do applique and those little bits are goldmines.

So, my vote is for color.
HTH,
Julie