Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Scraps ... Never ending scraps! >

Scraps ... Never ending scraps!

Scraps ... Never ending scraps!

Old 07-22-2016, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty. I have been sewing scrappy quilts for a really long time and still have bunches of them. Every quilt brings lots more scraps.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:58 PM

I'm in the process of cleaning my sewing room and ran across a book called "Cut the Scraps" by Joan Ford -- had to quit cleaning and start cutting -- this book has so many great scrap quilts -- I want to make most of them in this book!
Old 07-23-2016, 02:49 AM

Wearied, it's going to be a great scrappy. Are you using the spiderweb ruler? I think Creative Grids makes one...
Old 07-23-2016, 04:10 AM

Nice! And RedGarnet222... Love that pattern!
I gave anything less than 2 1/2" away to my quilting guild on freebie table or leftovers 5" so I don't have a bin of scraps! I know they will run over to my floors if I keep them! I just recently cleared my floor of about 80 % by cutting
Them down to different sizes and put in containers marking their sizes....will see how that works it! Lol
Old 07-23-2016, 05:23 AM

I am a Bonnie Hunter fan so love the scraps, bits and pieces. While building my scrap choices I ran across a lqs that has a huge online business. They were looking for a place to rent to store scraps when an employee said - sell it. So these odds and ends would be laid out on the cutting table in yard lengths and sold at $2.95 a yard. I know I bought about 120 yds. A gentleman was waiting for his wife and saw me on my second trip and told me about someone who bought over 30 yds - that was me!
Old 07-23-2016, 05:30 AM

Way to go, Tiggersmom! Everyone wins.[QUOTE=Tiggersmom;7607936]
Originally Posted by weasier22 View Post
I have so many scraps I could scream!

I know your pain! For over 2 weeks I've ironed and cut 5" blocks, 2.5" strips and everything almost in between The drawers are getting full and I finally gave up. I took two kitchen trashbags full of scraps, blocks, etc to one of the local quilt stores where she is passing them along to a group of ladies that make cat and dog beds. I feel like I cheated by giving them away but what a load off of my back............until I can home, as I'm cleaning out my sewing room, etc and found MORE that needs to be cut up. How they multiply all by their own-selves is magic.
I have several books using nickel squares, etc. . . . .oh me, time to get busy.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:18 AM
mac

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
What is it about scraps....the more we sew them, the more we accumulate....Love your start....saw a similar design on Pinterest but used selvages and 2 values of aqua ....keep us posted
Oksewglad, you are so right on about scraps. I think they are like bunnies and multiply when we are not looking.

Weasier22, your spider web quilt is beautiful. Great idea for the scraps. Did you pick your scraps out randomly or did you try to match them as you when on?
Old 07-23-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Oksewglad, you are so right on about scraps. I think they are like bunnies and multiply when we are not looking.

Weasier22, your spider web quilt is beautiful. Great idea for the scraps. Did you pick your scraps out randomly or did you try to match them as you when on?
I group the strips into color sets ... reds, blues, etc. I pull one strip from each set as I sew ... just keep going down the line. I chain stitch so I'm not sewing just one block at a time. It's interesting to see how the fabrics line up! If I get two strips that are just too close in color, I'll change one of them out. Other than that, it's just pull and sew.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Wearied, it's going to be a great scrappy. Are you using the spiderweb ruler? I think Creative Grids makes one...
I'm using Missouri Star Quilt Companies template for the center wedge piece and their triangular paper to sew each section. Four sections make the block. The paper is very light, so it tears away quite easily. The edges of the paper serve as the template to trim the block. It's an easy method & for me, easy is good! This is the link to their tutorial on the Spiderweb Quilt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_AuPOcUlw
Old 07-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

You can go on and on with this pattern. I got the template from MSQC. I love it. I have it started as a ufo. Not sure where its at