Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Second Labor of Love? >

Second Labor of Love?

Second Labor of Love?

Old 02-09-2023, 08:48 PM

Default Second Labor of Love?

Hi Quilters, gosh , the tops we are expected to quilt! The first ‘Grandma Mary’ top I quilted, before Christmas, for my grandson and posted in this link: Labor of Love finished!
my grandson’s dad also receive one of ‘grandma Mary’s’ tops and volunteered me to also quilt his dads( my ex- son-in-law) This is the top. First look at what I had to work with. No blocks were squared or squared to same size either. Some ballooned up and some lay flat but wonky. Some seams matched, some were off as much as an inch on one edge. A nightmare is understatement , more like twilight zone. I tried to stipple the poofy blocks without pinching or distorting too much but they still were poofy or blousy and I wasn’t happy with that. My husband told me just get it done. No amount of time and trying was gonna make it work like I wanted and they just wanted a quilt with ‘Grandma’s top’. I let my ex son-in-law know today that it’s finished. I remind him that he probably knew Grandma‘s blocks were off to say the least and a challenge for me. I told him it was together but it has more nips and tucks than Dolly Parton or Priscilla Presley. I also told him the edge has more waves that the beaches have. His response to me’Sounds like this quilt has Grandma’s sense of humor sewn in!
Attached Thumbnails 95387e7d-c8b7-4bca-b443-9e007641f024.jpeg   53efc1bc-cac5-4a5d-92bb-556713e329cc.jpeg   d5eee3ac-d4d9-4272-a2c8-7ccf7085c721.jpeg   c8609fea-c1d0-4709-9028-3186e4ba8aa4.jpeg   df7ef65c-7cc9-44f6-b429-af583d598254.jpeg  

Old 02-09-2023, 09:24 PM
Power Poster

Wow you did a super job! You have to keep a sense of humour with some old tops. It looks really good and I am sure it will be loved.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:41 AM

Way to go Toogie! I love your ex son in laws response. You also have a great sense of humor. This quilt has memories and love an that's what matters the most.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:45 AM

Maybe that's why grandma didn't finish it?
Thank you for finishing it. It isn't the quality but the love that's been stitched into this piece.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:02 AM

You really do have the patience of a saint. I wish I had some of it. Before we were married my husband asked me to fix "grandma's " quilt also. Polyester and wool squares (out of square) and the batting used was 3 blankets!! It was so heavy that I had to go buy two folding tables just to hold it up so it could be worked on. Now it resides in the linen closet upstairs, but if the heat goes out and it get's to 60 below....we'll be toasty warm.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:17 AM

Toogie, you are indeed a Saint for taking on such a beautiful yet challenging project! It turned out fantastic and no doubt it will be loved and cherished with wonderful memories of the maker and you for making it whole. Fabulous job!
Old 02-10-2023, 05:10 AM

Despite all the things wonky and out of whack, you did a marvelous job. The memories are what is important and you have added your memories into the mix as well. Great Job!
Old 02-10-2023, 05:13 AM

I think that looks fantastic given what you started with. Have a great day!
Old 02-10-2023, 09:01 PM

You did a marvelous job with what you had to work with, but the recipients won't be looking at the quilting, they will be remembering Grandma Mary. I once quilted a quilt with similar issues. I was given log cabin blocks that were wonky, had various seam allowances, selvages included. I was so tempted to tear them apart and start over, but then it wouldn't have been the Mom's work anymore. I bit the bullet and cut them all to the smallest block, squaring them up the best I could. Some strips ended up being a 1/4", and some were wedge shaped, some basted by hand and other by machine but they were all square by the time I was finished. I sewed them together and quilted them to death with a tighter meander, to hold everything together and it was LOVED. They didn't care if seams didn't match, it was the only thing they had from their mom.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:57 AM

How wonderful that you finished this! It will be a treasure.

I've worked on several quilts like that one, and am working on hand-quilting one now. There is nothing square or flat, but I want to preserve it. I'd rather quilt in (or is it out?) all those puckers and pleats and bubbles to keep it just as it was sewn together.

Thanks for sharing this terrific work!