Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Sewing room or NOT >

Sewing room or NOT

Sewing room or NOT

Old 01-14-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I understand completely, however hang on to that room. I think you'll discover that it will only be a moment or two until your child has grown up and left the nest. Enjoy the moment while it's here, and then move into the sewing room! (:
I agree.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 AM

How funny! I moved rooms to be closer to the 'action' as well! I notice you have the 6600, isn't it wonderful?!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 AM

Oh yeah, I love my Janome 6600.

I now need to get back to work on my niece's quilt. She'll be one in March and it was supposed to be ready when she was born. Oh well, I guess that's how it is sometimes!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:14 AM

Enjoy being with your family whie you can. My last one left the nest last fall. I still sew in an area where I am not isolated - any time I can. I save all my handwork for when my DH and I have time in the evening. Otherwise, my little dog follows me everywhere, though she prefers the kitchen! :lol:
Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 AM

I know what you mean. When we first moved here my husband said about sewing in the basement. Great in theory, but not in practicality.

The kids wouldn't be able to go outside and play. They wouldn't be able to be down in the basement... I use the dining room table and we have picnics on the living room floor. I hope the kids remember these times as the fun times of getting to have picnics on the living room floor and not "Don't touch that!!!" as they get too close to the table... :)
Old 01-15-2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks everyone, you ladies are the most understanding people!

I guess I'm normal after all.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 AM

Until recently, I didn't have a room to sew in, so I sewed on the kitchen table. Once DS moved out, I converted his room to a sewing room where I have my long arm, and my out of control stash which is being culled and sorted as I type! My plan is to move everything into the room and get my table cleaned off for once. Wish me luck!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 AM

My sewing room was in the family room for a few years and I got tons done even though I couldn't work in it all the time because the noise would bug my family. Now I have my sewing room in my son's old room and it's nice, but I feel so isolated, I find myself dragging stuff into the family room to work on.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I completely understand. I have at least 2 bedrooms upstairs I could take over as my sewing room, but I like to be where my family is. I have my sewing room in the family room. We have a formal living room that is really the "family room" and I have turned the family room into the sewing computer room. While I am sewing DH will come in here and use the computer or sit on the couch and read. When the kids come home they will set up their computers in here (most of the time) and we can all talk and visit while computing/sewing.
You are not alone, the only time I go into the room designated as my sewing room/office is to use the frame (because it would be to much noise in the livingroom). And I usually only work on the one on the frame when DH is working outside or isn't at home. My machine that I piece with, cutting tools, ironing board/iron are all in the main part of the house where we can talk to each other or at least see each other.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 AM

"I'm finally at a place where's possible for me to get my own sewing room, but I'm just not that into it.

all my stuff is there but I rather sew in the dinning room while my child is playing around in the living room.

Can you believe that I rather drag my sewing stuff down the stairs than sew in this?"

Yes, I can believe it. My children are all grown up and moved away but there are still times that I would rather sew out in the dining room instead of the sewing room.
Of course, there are other times I would rather go into the sewing room and close the door. :lol:

So, I do both. I have my projects in rectangular tubs that are about 4" deep. They are easy to move. I put one Singer 403 in the sewing room and one Singer 401 in the dining room so that it is easy to set up the 1/4 seam allowance.
It works well for me.