Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Sewing For Sally >

Sewing For Sally

Sewing For Sally

Old 06-16-2010, 09:07 AM

so nice to see and hear from another Project Linus blanketeer. You are going to have so much fun. Enjoy, Love to you.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Thanks everyone......We got one quilt ready for meandoring today and two others started with cutting.

MIQ I visited your AX Blanket group website. Nice, I loved seeing all those ladies 50 and over (just like my Guild) having so much fun. And your motto is perfect: EVERY CHILD HAS THE RIGHT TO FEEL SECURE IN THE WORLD.

Yes, buddysmimi, I am glad to meet another blanketeer too! Our next sew day will be end of this month when we sew blankets for autistic children. Boy, are they ever hard to get done because the velcor sticks all over when trying to sew in the pockets. Oh well, a few good die-hards will show up and we will get them done. Have a waiting list of 70 so far. Oh my--a long day ahead of us.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Good things happen to good people...
Old 06-17-2010, 04:10 PM

we had a blanket day where we just made those autistic blankets. Last fall I believe it was. Yes, it was cause it was hot. We had a whole stage full of donated sheets for them. Don't remember the exact number, around 150 I think at days end. And every of them had a home already to go to. It was a learning experience for me. The ready made ones are available to parents of autistic children, but at such an exorbitant fee they are cost prohibitive. Anyway, I love Project Linus and the warm fuzzies I have when making quilts for them. It has become my lifestyle. Making quilts. Haven't had any returned so I guess I am doing something right, lol. Catch you later.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Yes, buddysmimi, there has never been a returned Project Linus quilt around here either. The kids love them. Actually, I know several families where they still have the quilts when the kids reach teenage years.

In another instance, during one of our quilt shows at a small local museum, where I had set up our charity quilts, etc booth, a 30-something lady come up to me saying how pretty the small quilts were. Then she said she had been a battered women's center resident at one point in her life and had received a charity quilt but lost it when a fire destroyed her home. Because I had made many of the display quilts using my own money, I reached over and silently gave one of mine to her. She cried; we hugged and I could tell her quilt memories lived once again. Comfort within a quilt comes and heals lives many times over.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:27 PM

Tell me more about the blankets for autistic children. Are these the weighted blankets? I want to do one for DGS, but don't know exactly how it's done.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Oh my STARS!! My lip is stuck out so far it will be sprained!! Jus kidding I am happy for you! Have fun!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:40 PM

Oh you have that exactly right. Thanks so much for sharing with me. I've been with PL for 7 years now and I still receive blessings everyday even though I very rarely know who my quilts go to. It is enough to know that they are wrapping my kids in love and hugs.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Power Poster

OMG, how lucky! Those sure are pretty. You will be keeping busy for sure! :thumbup:
Old 06-18-2010, 02:46 PM

Yes, they are the weighted blankets. I have a pattern that we used at our blanket day, but I don't know what the rules are here about doing that. Let me check and see if it might possibly be in the Project Linus website. If it is, I can just give you the address.