Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Sewing Table made from Desk >

Sewing Table made from Desk

Sewing Table made from Desk

Old 05-06-2010, 03:52 AM

Thanks for posting the picture. Now I have a VISUAL to show hubby. Sometimes he thinks I'm crazy when I say I need to do something and I can't convey it correctly. Much easier with a picture - "SEE this is what I NEED you to do FOR ME!" LOL
Old 05-06-2010, 03:56 AM

I keep shopping Craig's List looking for a find such as yours. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:12 AM

ok I have a question! I've been thinking about doing this for my Kenmore machine but haven't because i wasn't sure how it would be not having a flat surface to work on. I could get it as close to the machine as possible but there would still be a few gaps. Does that give you a hard time when sewing? Course dh might divorce me if I tell him I have yet another project lined up! lol!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:16 AM

Thank you, when the weather gets nice, I'm going to cut 2' off bottom and refinish it. I also put a 10' wide board on the back so the desk is the same width as my long table.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
ok I have a question! I've been thinking about doing this for my Kenmore machine but haven't because i wasn't sure how it would be not having a flat surface to work on. I could get it as close to the machine as possible but there would still be a few gaps. Does that give you a hard time when sewing? Course dh might divorce me if I tell him I have yet another project lined up! lol!
IF I get around to making something like this I'll use 'house insulation board' and cut it to fit the gaps. It's like styrofoam. Then I'd probably cover it with another piece of thick thick plastic (visqueen or something from Joann's deco department) to cover it all and make it really slick!
Old 05-07-2010, 04:16 AM

Great re-use of the desk. Looks like all wood, should last forever.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:30 AM

In the gaps, I don't have to much problem, but I understand what you are saying. What about putting a syrofoam tubing, the large type. You can cut it to fit. Than if you want, you can always put a tape on that. Makr sure if you put a bottom board in like I did, that you cut an opening on the cord side to get your hand in to plug cord in. I have a heck of a time getting mine plugged in unless I unplug it from the wall and the switch is underneath also so you need a little area to get into there on that side.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:37 AM

I didn't even think about the switch.....mine is almost right beside the power cord....probably below where the cabinet would be. I'll need to check on that...if i ever get around to it that is.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:40 AM

I did the exact same thing with a half sheet of plywood. We had the plywood under the mattress of our old bed (sleep number baby now).

I have the plywood on 4 plastic sawhorses that I got for $15 a pair at home depot or lowes. I also used an old leaf for a table that I no longer have to use as the base for the machine. I also covered it with a padded vinyl tablecloth ($5 from walmart) so it is slick and I can't feel the plywood.

I have a LOT of room to sew now. but I must say, yours is SOOOOOOO much prettier than mine. I couldn't find a desk cheap enough...even at Salv. Army
Old 05-07-2010, 05:49 AM

Those great big old school desks work the best, because you put the hole right where the drawer is. Then you use the wood that you cut out underneath the sewing machine and it lifts it up to the right size. I used to have one of those, but couldn't move it out here.