Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Silk crazy quilt - ready for layering! >

Silk crazy quilt - ready for layering!

Silk crazy quilt - ready for layering!

Old 01-27-2016, 11:07 AM

very nice job on the embroidery and a lovely quilt.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:21 AM

Wow that is beautiful. You did a great job. Happy quilting ✂️
Old 01-27-2016, 11:56 AM

You have done an amazing job on this.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:14 PM

Great Job! I love it. But I also have a question. I have all my blocks made for a crazy quilt also made with silks and some velvets but now I'm kind of stuck, not knowing (or waffleing?) on what stitch or color thread to use where. How did you chose and can you offer any advise? Thanks, Laurilli
Old 01-27-2016, 02:57 PM

Beautiful quilt.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:32 PM

To answer this question from Lourilli -
. . . I have all my blocks made for a crazy quilt also made with silks and some velvets but now I'm kind of stuck, not knowing (or waffleing?) on what stitch or color thread to use where. How did you chose and can you offer any advise?

I had an aunt who when she died left me so much embroidery floss I have been hard put to use it all up.
I just pulled out the ones I thought I would like for this and then used what struck me as I did each square.
For the most part they blend nicely or are accent colors - all earthy and soft.
I tried a few brighter ones or put white on a dark area and then took it all out.
I think it is a matter of taste and I have a hard time with high contrast, plus this was meant to be elegant and not too wild.
In some cases the floss was identical to the fabric and so it disappeared. I like that but tried to avoid it for the most part. Some contrast is good. I also used some of the same colors for each square without introducing too many new colors.
On a different square I used a different group, but always with repeats of some colors.

I used only 2 strands to avoid large raised areas that might get rubbed or torn more easily. In a few cases the stitches were so thin I did use 3 strands for better impact. I repeated a lot of patterns too that I made up as I went, so that there was some continuity throughout. Some stitches were new to me (from the books and websites I referred to) and I could not do them well so I avoided them.
I hope this helps a little...
Old 01-27-2016, 06:13 PM

Absolutely stunning!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 06:53 AM

i have an antique silk crazy quilt that was used in a funeral home as backgound for displays of the deceased's work or picture. the pattern is a graveyard, meaning that each rectangular block was made by an individual quilter and the perimeter 'fenced in' with embroidery . there are dates that indicate the birth and death years of the quilters. the family of the last remaining quilter gets the quilt to pass down as an heirloom. some fabric pieces date back to just post revolutionary war, altho' the quilt itself is more likely to have been made closer to the american civil war. there is no batting other than the muslin foundation . all threads are silk and it is bordered in silk filet lace. it is kept in an archival box next to the door, so in the event of fire i will grab it and the dog leashes as we flee! it is my pride and joy.
your quilt is destined to become a family heirloom, too. it is gorgeous!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 AM

Very nice. Those little spots of pink really pop.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
i have an antique silk crazy quilt that was used in a funeral home as backgound for displays of the deceased's work or picture. the pattern is a graveyard, meaning that each rectangular block was made by an individual quilter and the perimeter 'fenced in' with embroidery . there are dates that indicate the birth and death years of the quilters. the family of the last remaining quilter gets the quilt to pass down as an heirloom. some fabric pieces date back to just post revolutionary war, altho' the quilt itself is more likely to have been made closer to the american civil war. there is no batting other than the muslin foundation . all threads are silk and it is bordered in silk filet lace. it is kept in an archival box next to the door, so in the event of fire i will grab it and the dog leashes as we flee! it is my pride and joy.
your quilt is destined to become a family heirloom, too. it is gorgeous!
That is amazing! thanks for that history and education about the use of silk quilts.
I was making mine because I had the fabric and who knew there was a history behind the use of silk quilts!
The bed it's on is NEAR the front door, but not sure I would take the detour to grab it. The dog? YES!