Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Simple Pleasures, by me... >

Simple Pleasures, by me...

Simple Pleasures, by me...

Old 04-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Default Simple Pleasures, by me...

I have collected paper-pieced block patterns that appealed to me as I have surfed the web abyss for some time. Some I bought..Some free. I have quite a stack of patterns with no clear path for their uses. Last month, I grabbed some of my vintage looking floral precuts and just started making some of them. I had no clue what I was going to do with them..thought about wall hangings...or....mat/frame vintage dresses to hang in laundry room, just wasn't sure. (laundry room idea would be so cute) Then, I purchased EQ8 a couple of weeks ago and designed a quilt layout using all the different sized PP blocks, added some filler strips of squares and flying geese and some of my favorite traditional pieced blocks (which I paper pieced) and....this is the result. I made this entire quilt with 10 FQ's (Farmhouse II collection) and a jelly roll pack (Amorette Collection) plus about 5 yards of Kona white for background. When I completed this, I realized that all the blocks are truly things that I enjoy. I'm a clothes horse, an avid reader, love flowers everywhere, can't get enough lipstick, counsel veterans, obviously I sew, strawberries are my fav...and so on... So, I have entitled this "Simple Pleasures" which I'll hand embroidery on quilt top....Did hand embroidery for steam over teacup, thread on sewing machine, etc. I used selvages for the book titles....finished it off with a multi-colored binding to use up some leftovers. Backing is a bolt of fabric from stash that matched perfectly. So much fun to play... And, I really learned a lot on EQ8. So, as Mary Poppins says, "These are a few of my favorite things..." Size is 61x73. Designer credit for each block available below...Thanks for listening while I babbled...

Websites:
ChariseCreates.blogspot.com (her patterns are all adorable..so creative. I'll likely purchase them all...lol)
- Vintage Dresses. (The inspiration for this quilt)
- Creamer and Sugar Bowl
- Flowers in Vintage bottles
- Grandmother's Flower
- Berry Basket
- Sewing machine
- Jelly/Jam Preserve Jars

Centerstreetquilts.com
- Cupcake

Piecebynumber.com
- Candybox Heart
- Teacup

caroldoak.com
- Pot of lilies

Sewscatteredbrained.com
- Lipstick

Lillyella.com
- Butterflies

wombatquilts.com.
- House

Quilterscache.com
- Flying geese 2x4

- US Flag - I don't remember where I found this pattern but it was free. I pieced the blue section before PP.
- Stack of books - This is a single block from a popular Bookshelf Quilt pattern. Many of the blocks are available free from different sites. I'm just not sure which one I downloaded.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Old 04-03-2019, 02:20 PM

A beautiful work of art! How nice to list all of these resources. I enjoy doing hand embroidery and currently am working on EPP hexagons, but nothing I have done compares to this!

Last edited by suern3; 04-03-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:53 PM

Ohhhhhh looking at your quilt makes me feel so happy! There are enough negative spaces to give my eyes a chance to focus and enjoy each element. What a wonderful work of art! I get the feeling that this really is 'your soul in a quilt'. Thank you so much for sharing. It truly is amazing!
Old 04-03-2019, 03:41 PM

Teen, I feel like I'm looking at a reflection of you. I love that this quilt is about what makes you happy. It is just beautifully done. Thanks for sharing your references.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:48 PM

Absolutely stunniung! I love it!
Old 04-03-2019, 03:55 PM

Wow, for no real pattern it’s wonderful!
Old 04-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful and very interesting with all the different objects.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

terrific quilt
Old 04-03-2019, 04:00 PM

Very beautifully done. I loved looking at it and learning about you. I'm guessing that this one won't be donated.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:04 PM

That is wonderful! Your fabric choices really work beautifully for the patterns. My favorites are the dresses and the FW. I looked @ the link you gave; Charise really has some adorable ones.

Thank you for sharing.