Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Singer 66 restoration, before and after

Cathy

In the first couple of pictures I started to clean it, then realized I didn't have any before pictures. The wet / shiny part is where I started. Yes, I'm using Liquid Wrench on everything.
    The Feed and Wax is from the treadle I restored on Sat. If you search my threads, you'll find pictures of it. One of these 66's were with that cabinet, one is with a thrashed cabinet still sitting on the floor.
    You'll see the can of L-Wrench and a can of Bug and Tar in the background of the pictures. I used the Bug and Tar on a 201 I just cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs
    Let the L-Wrench work, rub gently, spritz more hand wipe in...set, rub gently.
    Very slow process.

Now on the insides...spray, rub with toothbrush and take out frustration. Will shine up nice and purdy =)
    Maybe you should start on the inside of the other one with your toothbrush and get your frustration out before finishing gently with this one.LOL You are certainly doing a great job. It is simply beautiful (after). I have one in a treadle, do you make house calls?HaHa Good job can't hardly wait to see your "twins".

Power Poster
    WOW! Sure turned out pretty!
    Nice job!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful!

Blog Entries
    its unbelieveable how the decals can be under all that black stuff...I used kerosene (Billy recommended) and was amazed when the lotus blossom started emerging..LOL Takes alot of soaking and scrubbing but so pretty when done.

Amazing!!! What a beautiful machine you have now!!

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    its unbelieveable how the decals can be under all that black stuff...I used kerosene (Billy recommended) and was amazed when the lotus blossom started emerging..LOL Takes alot of soaking and scrubbing but so pretty when done.
    Exactly!! It's work but so encouraging when you start to see results!!

WOW, that is beautiful. These machines are works of art! Congratulations to you.

I just was gifted with one just like that. What do you use to clean them and not distroy the decals?
    That turned out beautiful!

Blog Entries
    I have cleaned up my old machines but never been able to get the shine you have on yours in the pictures. Which product did you use to get the shine? My Dad got me using WD40 to loosen up the guts and get things turning again. I have an old Universal that I have been soaking for a couple of months now and turning daily but it is still too tight for the motor to pull it. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    She is gorgeous. You did a great job of cleaning her up.

WOW!!! She is a beauty! Great job on the restoration.

Blog Entries
    Wow, Wow, Wow! Thank you for sharing your pictures and restoration ideas. You have inspired me to tackle the ones that I have recently obtained. Beautiful job!
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    That is astonishing! Beautiful!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    I have cleaned up my old machines but never been able to get the shine you have on yours in the pictures. Which product did you use to get the shine? My Dad got me using WD40 to loosen up the guts and get things turning again. I have an old Universal that I have been soaking for a couple of months now and turning daily but it is still too tight for the motor to pull it. Any suggestions?
    I would read Billy's tutorials. Look up "how to clean a vintage machine" in the search here. He's got a wonderful tutorial that lists all the materials you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    If you read a bit back through the thread, I use Liquid Wrench to free the gears. WD40 is NOT recommended. Work it with a soft toothbrush, wear gloves and keep at it.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments, you're inspiring me to start on the old scuzzy one =) (what's a few brain cells right?)

My house is small so what comes into it must have a purpose. It would eat at me having these beautiful machines just collecting more crud and me thinking..."one day". My "one day" needs to be now, otherwise it's just another name for "hoarder".....

Blog Entries
    What a difference. She is beautiful.

Blog Entries
    You did a great job. :thumbup:

What a great job!

What nice results, well worth the effort..and then how well these vintage machines sew when they've been cleaned and oiled, also.

Blog Entries
    Amazing and it's Beautiful. Great work!

Beautiful! I have a New Home Treadle that needs cleaned up. You have given me the inspiration to start on it.

wow! doesn't even look like the same machine.

Thanks again everyone!!!

(my fingers are sooooo sore from rubbing.) I stopped with the Liquid Wrench and went to the bug and tar, non-decal areas. She's got a coat of good wax on her right now, still have the bit's and bob's to clean, then grease / oil and take her for a test run. Hopefully this weekend!

I've seen several posts of people buying treadle/66's in the last two days.....*big grin to you!*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast