Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The smallest triangle is 1/4"!! Tulip Time, a mini and pattern >

The smallest triangle is 1/4"!! Tulip Time, a mini and pattern

The smallest triangle is 1/4"!! Tulip Time, a mini and pattern

Old 09-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
Love your mini! Great that you have decided it needs to be finished. Thanks for sharing! :)
Your welcome and thank you for the nice compliment and yes I must focus on UFO's before starting anything else! The tulips were blocks worth saving!!!

8-) :roll: ;) ;-) :-D :roll:
Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM

How do you sew these? How do you hold them to sew them? I've never seen anything this small...so precise. You do great work!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Google Goddess

great work, thanks for sharing with us
Old 09-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by donnaree59
How do you sew these? How do you hold them to sew them? I've never seen anything this small...so precise. You do great work!
I lay the fabric face down on top of the pattern, hold it in place with one finger, and stitch it down. I never use pins or never baste. I simply learned to perfect this method in order to save time. After much practice, you get better. You learn to eyeball things in place. :D The paper gives you the stability that handpiecing those pieces could never give. PP gives you the opportunity to piece small pieces precisely! I don't really have to hold them like you would for traditional sizes. I just align them and place them under the presser foot and stitch! It's easy!! For people who have trouble handling such small sizes, you could always draw/copy your pattern piece onto a 5x7 piece of paper to give you substance to put under the presser foot. It makes manipulation easier. I try to eliminate PP wherever I can to save time. On minis, removing the PP can be harmful by weakening the threads so I like to stay away from PP. That's why I didn't PP the border. I prefer to draw my pattern pieces on muslin and do fdn. piecing so there's nothing to remove and it gives alot of stability to the mini. You should try PP and foundation piecing to get the precision you want, especially on little pieces. I sure hope you'll try the pattern and make a cute little mini! We would love to see it!! Be sure and PM me so I don't miss it when you do! Thank you, donnaree59, for your great compliment!! Hope I've answered your questions. ;) ;) ;)
Old 09-05-2010, 03:59 PM

It is just amazing to me. AMAZING. Thank you for sharing all of this. I have made a small wallhanging (from Carol Doak book, I think) and have probably 20 or so PP squares for a large quilt that I have started...but nothing at all like this. I think they are 7" heart squares. When I get tired of whatever I am working on, I pull them out and sew a few more. I have enjoyed doing them, but I can just see all those little 1/4" triangles getting eaten up in my machine!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by donnaree59
It is just amazing to me. AMAZING. Thank you for sharing all of this. I have made a small wallhanging (from Carol Doak book, I think) and have probably 20 or so PP squares for a large quilt that I have started...but nothing at all like this. I think they are 7" heart squares. When I get tired of whatever I am working on, I pull them out and sew a few more. I have enjoyed doing them, but I can just see all those little 1/4" triangles getting eaten up in my machine!
You're funny!! Yes, if you like to floor that pedal @ 90mph, it will really eat the triangles and the paper!!! You have to slow it down to about 2mph so you don't swallow the seams of the 1/4" triangles!! haha. The last pic I showed has the triangle that's 1/4" at its widest part. The others look a little wider. :oops: You know PP a large size quilt gets boring and never seems to make it past UFO stage so that's why you would be so encouraged and feel accomplished doing a little mini like this one. I'm a good one to say this. I only started these blocks 4 yrs. ago, then added 1 block a year later. Here we are 3 yrs. later down the road and I'm just NOW finishing it? Yep. We learn the hard way. haha. No, but really there is a great sense of accomplishment making the little minis! We just sit back and say, wow, I did THAT? haha. I would suggest starting off with 1/2" blocks though. It's much easier! lol. Carol Doak has great patterns; so does Marsha McCloskey, Jo Morton and Sally Collins. I usually make my own patterns though. Hope you give it a try, but don't put it in overdrive. :D :D
Old 09-05-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
great work, thanks for sharing with us
Your welcome, Karen, and thank you!!!

:D :D :!: ;-) 8-) :roll: :lol:
Old 09-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Whoa,that is tiny.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Friendly Quilter
Very Good.
Thank you, Lynn; thank you, wvdek!! :-D :-D :wink: 8-) :!:
Old 09-05-2010, 06:21 PM

STUNNING!!! You do fabulous work on your mini!!