Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: snowflakes or not?

  1. #1
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Do these blocks say "snowflakes" to you or not?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    I think they look great as snowflakes!

  3. #3
    Power Poster alikat110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waco, Texas
    Posts
    15,191
    Blog Entries
    9
    Snow flakes they are. Great wip

  4. #4
    Senior Member neeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    873
    Yes, good snowflakes. I think it depends on the context of the quilt...but in this setting, yes. (A fairy frost fabric or a dusting of glitter would really make them shine....don't know if there is a way to "glitter" them after the fact. Sequins would be too big I think.).

    I like them as they are, nicely done.

  5. #5
    Super Member tealfalcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Millbrook, Alabama
    Posts
    3,394
    oh yeah def looks like a cold winter day with snowflakes...add some snowflake quilting and it will be fabulous

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    216
    Technically, they don't really say snowflakes to me..Mostly because Snowflakes are always 6 sided in nature. And probably because my Sister has a thing about that, so I have head it a million times (She is an Art teacher so snowflakes are involved in her life!).

    BUt I love the pattern, and I think to many people it would represent snow. I think the colours you chose sort of seem to represent a transition from late fall to early winter! very subtle and nice!

  7. #7
    Super Member MrsM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hoosick Falls, NY
    Posts
    2,093
    I think the Batik fabric helps to make them look like snowflakes. I love it though. The colors are beautiful.

  8. #8
    Senior Member SharonD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    478
    yes, yes yes - they look great

  9. #9
    Super Member watson's mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maidstone, Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,521
    They look like big fluffy snowflakes to me. Just the kind I am waiting for. Come on Winter!!!

  10. #10
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,478
    They are awesome

  11. #11
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,527
    Blog Entries
    1
    If you wanted them to look like snowflakes, then they do. If the background was blue rather than green, they would look more like snowflakes to me. However, if you tell me that's what they are, then they definitely are! Clear as mud, huh?! :lol: It's a beautiful quilt whether the stars look like snowflakes or not. :thumbup:

  12. #12
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    If you wanted them to look like snowflakes, then they do. If the background was blue rather than green, they would look more like snowflakes to me. However, if you tell me that's what they are, then they definitely are! Clear as mud, huh?! :lol: It's a beautiful quilt whether the stars look like snowflakes or not. :thumbup:
    The background is actually purple and gray.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Mich.
    Posts
    1,434
    I think they very well could be snowflakes!

  14. #14
    Super Member feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,984
    They look great. Try mixing in a few of these free PP patterns in from Silver Linings originals and it will definitely say snowflakes.

    http://www.silverliningsoriginals.com/qc/supe.html

  15. #15
    Power Poster PaperPrincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,469
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mizunogirl
    Technically, they don't really say snowflakes to me..Mostly because Snowflakes are always 6 sided in nature. And probably because my Sister has a thing about that, so I have head it a million times (She is an Art teacher so snowflakes are involved in her life!).

    BUt I love the pattern, and I think to many people it would represent snow. I think the colours you chose sort of seem to represent a transition from late fall to early winter! very subtle and nice!
    I have to agree with mizunogirl's sister. For me, they have to have 6 sides to look like a snowflake. Beautiful, quilt, though. Love the colors!

  16. #16
    Super Member quiltedlamb07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shelbyville, KY
    Posts
    1,382
    yes, they are great, very pretty

  17. #17
    Senior Member neeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    873
    Great patterns on this website, thank you! Love those pp flowers!
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    They look great. Try mixing in a few of these free PP patterns in from Silver Linings originals and it will definitely say snowflakes.

    http://www.silverliningsoriginals.com/qc/supe.html

  18. #18
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    How about this for the border and snowflakes? They'd be raw edge appliqued.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    Super Member Jennifer22206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    4,774
    Blog Entries
    4
    I like it. :) Looks like snowflakes to me.

    And snowflakes are unique - there are no two the same. :) Not always necessarily 6 sides (right?).

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I like it. :) Looks like snowflakes to me.

    And snowflakes are unique - there are no two the same. :) Not always necessarily 6 sides (right?).

    Actually Jennifer, not to beat a dead horse, but ALL snowflakes are always six sided in nature. they aren't the same, but they all have 6 sides.

    One of the things Like about quilting though is that things do not always have to be exactly like they are in reality, I mean otherwise we couldn't have patterns with ladybugs carrying pocketbooks....

    But for some reason with the snowflake thing, it sticks with me....

  21. #21
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by mizunogirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I like it. :) Looks like snowflakes to me.

    And snowflakes are unique - there are no two the same. :) Not always necessarily 6 sides (right?).

    Actually Jennifer, not to beat a dead horse, but ALL snowflakes are always six sided in nature. they aren't the same, but they all have 6 sides.

    One of the things Like about quilting though is that things do not always have to be exactly like they are in reality, I mean otherwise we couldn't have patterns with ladybugs carrying pocketbooks....

    But for some reason with the snowflake thing, it sticks with me....
    I think that's probably why those blocks bugged me so much. Snowflakes are six sided and those blocks are 8 point stars. I'm really leaning towards changing it to appliqued snowflakes.

  22. #22
    Senior Member familyfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    597
    Yes.. They say snowflakes to me

  23. #23
    Super Member Jennifer22206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    4,774
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by mizunogirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I like it. :) Looks like snowflakes to me.

    And snowflakes are unique - there are no two the same. :) Not always necessarily 6 sides (right?).

    Actually Jennifer, not to beat a dead horse, but ALL snowflakes are always six sided in nature. they aren't the same, but they all have 6 sides.

    One of the things Like about quilting though is that things do not always have to be exactly like they are in reality, I mean otherwise we couldn't have patterns with ladybugs carrying pocketbooks....

    But for some reason with the snowflake thing, it sticks with me....
    That's cool. Learn something new every day. :) I'm a language person, not math :D

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    350
    Yes snow flakes

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    696
    They suggest snowflakes to me. I like them, especially with the purple and gray. Great color choices. The snowflakes may not be 6 sided, but the stars REPRESENT snowflakes. It's artist's license after all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.