Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Some 5 Yard Quilts that have made and quilted with Minky backs >

Some 5 Yard Quilts that have made and quilted with Minky backs

Some 5 Yard Quilts that have made and quilted with Minky backs

Old 07-27-2014, 07:36 PM

Thank you.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Caswews View Post
Just read the book on 5 yard quilts interesting for sure ..I think my next quilts are all going to be panels with dp9 around them .. LOL I know getting lazy in my old age !LOL
Wow! Didn't know there was a book. WHAT IS IT's name and author? Will have to check into it.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:09 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by JAGSD View Post
I have a longarm, but when I quilt with Minky as long as I put the stretchiest direction left and right on my rollers, so when I roll it they do not for the most part stretch. Don't get me wrong it does but "very little" if it does.BUT not the curling crazy stuff. The Minky works well with these quilts too because of size. There is no piecing of it. If you are quilting on a domestic machine when quilting you usually work from the center out if I remember right and I would think the "stretches" would be a problem. But with just going around the edges, maybe make sure the same stretch goes the same direction for both top and back and possible a stabilizer. To be honest outside of using a stabilizer I don't know how to change that outcome and would love to hear what anybody else has been successful with.
The only other thing I can think of is Pin Pin Pin Pin.
I am quilting on a domestic machine. I did straight line quilting from one end to the other. I forgot to start from the middle and quilt outwards. Thanks for the reminder. I used the minky WOF of 60" for the length of the quilt, so I think the problem lies in the width being the stretchiest and quilting it from one end to the other.Pinning and using stabilizer are also great advice. I will take it all. Thanks bunches!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I am quilting on a domestic machine. I did straight line quilting from one end to the other. I forgot to start from the middle and quilt outwards. Thanks for the reminder. I used the minky WOF of 60" for the length of the quilt, so I think the problem lies in the width being the stretchiest and quilting it from one end to the other.Pinning and using stabilizer are also great advice. I will take it all. Thanks bunches!
I just remembered too... I made one minky quilt that was a kit. It was strips of minky and you spray basted them on to batting to keep them from slipping when you sewed them together. Maybe using spray basting will help with this too.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:32 AM

Really beautiful. Why have I always thought that Minky was difficult for all over quilting?