Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A special quilt for my parents >

A special quilt for my parents

A special quilt for my parents

Old 07-25-2017, 04:25 AM

82 blocks, plus filler fabric and border fabric! Two more sets to explain, and that is the story of the quilt! Thanks for letting me share I'll post the rest of the fabric and the full quilt shortly
Old 07-25-2017, 09:52 AM

Can't wait to see the finished quilt. This is so amazing. Such a labor of love!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Last set of fabrics...!

The three of us had talked about different ways to represent the kids and grandkids in the quilt. I thought about a block with stick figures, but when putting the quilt together, I had a long strip of blank space. So, I decided to add a piece of fabric to represent each child and grandchild.

The kids:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577237[/ATTACH]

My oldest sister went to University of Oregon when I was 5 (youngest sibling was a few months old). My older brother joined the marines the summer before I went into Jr. High. They were the only two to go to a four year college or military (my brother went to WSU after he got out of the marines, then became a policeman, now a detective).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577238[/ATTACH]

My next older sister and I somehow ended up in the same job, just different locations, twice! Even though we took very different routes to get there. We were both electricians, but now we both hold jobs in a similar, but different, and still hands-on field.

As for our fabrics...
One of my sister's hobbies is working on airplanes. She goes away every year for a couple weeks to work on one she co-sponsers with a large group.

I love to travel, so my fabric is travel related. Before my last trip to Europe, I asked my mom to make a scarf for me, so that I could use it when needed (in a church, to block the sun, to drape over my purse to keep zippers even less accessible, etc). This fabric is the scrap from one of those scarves. I had to ask my mom for it, without telling her why! It's just "a project I'm working on".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577239[/ATTACH]

My little brother has always been into music. While the rest of us all took band, my little brother "lives" music much more than the rest of us. He's still working on landing his desired career (as a pastor), but music will always be a big part of his life.
Attached Thumbnails v-k.jpg   d-me.jpg   s.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 12:10 PM

The grandkids:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577240[/ATTACH]

My son is the actor. He discovered the drama team as a sophomore, and it had a huge impact. When his school schedule and job allow it, he wants to get into community theater. I wanted to use the "drama masks" for his fabric, but couldn't find one that would work. So, he gets silver screen acting fabric.

My niece enjoys sailing. My oldest brother will take her out for some week-long trips, sometimes a friend of my niece will go, sometimes the family (my SIL, who made some blocks for the quilt, goes along for the ride, but for her it is a "work free" trip).

My nephew, also my oldest brother's child, is a big fan of soccer. If there is a ball around, balloon, etc, he will be trying soccer moves with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577241[/ATTACH]

The next two fabrics are for my twin nephews (oldest sister's sons). They are both into baseball and fishing.
The last fabric is my niece (younger brother's daughter). She's four, so not yet developed all her interests, so I went with some exploring fairies. She's always on the move and asking questions.

That's it! Next post will be the completed top, I just wish I had a better photo to post.
Attached Thumbnails ian-rose-william.jpg   colin-even-celinda-cam.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 12:50 PM

Ta-da! Well, almost...! I realized I didn't get a photo with the final top and bottom border (which I added to protect those 1/4" seam allowances on some of the blocks). *sigh*

I'll update with photos when I finally get it quilted. I need to learn my mega quilter with frame first!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577243[/ATTACH]

Thanks again for all the kind comments!

Final size of the top is 90" x 112". I had aimed for 90 x 108, but somehow an extra 4 inches sneaked in there on me. I'll use a cut down king size batting to make it work. They'll have a nice drape for their queen bed
Attached Thumbnails mom-dad-quilt-top-finished.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 03:47 PM

wow, what a delight to see this quilt. You did an amazing job!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:51 PM

Your parents are going to be so happy when they get this quilt. It is obvious a labor of love.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:49 AM

oh wow....oh wow.....oh wow....as much as I couldn't stand the wait---it was worth it!!!! that quilt is beautiful and I luv the stories behind the blocks!!!!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I love the whimsy of your blocks. Adorable!!!!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I was wondering how they would all fit together - great placement of a family history!