Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
spiderweb blocks >

spiderweb blocks

spiderweb blocks

Old 09-14-2009, 07:42 PM

Ladybug, I *think* the way I am doing it is actually called foundation piecing (someone correct me if I am wrong PLEASE!)

But this is how I do it, first I cut my blocks and then I split them into triangles. Then I mark my triangles where I want my first pieces to go on either side of the white "kite". Sorry I had already started these blocks and don't have pictures of that.

Then I line my first strip up with the line ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE that I actually want it to go (right sides together) then I sew my seam. I press it back and do the same on the other side. [img]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7850/cimg1545q.jpg[/img]
Then I take another piece and lay it on top of the first strip (right sides together) and sew it down, now I can add a strip to both sides before I have to get up and press anything! [img]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1646/cimg1548i.jpg[/img] [img]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4339/cimg1549z.jpg[/img]
then I press both sides[img]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7962/cimg1553z.jpg[/img] and add another strip to each side and cont. on.
They look really wonky and funky with all the extra fabric hanging off of the triangle when you are done adding all the strips, but I just turn it over and trim the BOTTOM of the triangle and sew it to another trimed triangle. once I have the block with excess fabric on all four sides I square it up which removes all the excess also! I square it from the FRONT not the back though! I am fairly lazy and removing paper is not my cup of tea, so this way I don't have to.
This is what it will look like from the back once it is all sewn together and trimmed [img]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3223/cimg1556m.jpg[/img] I think doing it this way is REALLY easy and I havn't been quilting that long!
I have played around with paper piecing in the past and its not hard I used freezer paper I "scored" the lines with a treacing wheel so I could fold the paper out of the way so I wouldn't sew through it (because I am lazy remember lol). I actually have all the materal to make a quilt using this template but I haven't gotten around to it. All the flowers will be yellow with brown centers except one it will be white with a yellow center.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-9875.jpe  
Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 PM

Well after all that information and I don't think I answered your questions. No I don't think it is paper piecing but instead foundation piecing, is it hard NO, could you sew strips together and then cut out the triangles I guess you could. If I were to do it like that though what I would do is cut the kites out, sew the strips together, then sew the rough strips to the kite, once both sides are sewn onto the kite THEN trim it into the triangle it needs to be!

Good luck, let me know if you need/want more info.I would love to see everyones work when they start making one!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 PM

I love it it would use up the scrapes in a scrape box.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:00 PM

Justwanta,

Thanks so much for taking the pictures and time to post the info for me. I too am a lazy quilter. I like the idea of foundation piecing and think I might even try this. I have a punch of scraps and this would be a perfect way to use them up.

Based on the pictures you showed I could also make my squares whatever size I wanted, by adjusting the size of the triangles :wink:

I want to ask though how do you find the time to quilt with three small children? I have DD who is 3 and another that is 6 mos and I don't seem to get enough time in my sewing room :( Although the time with them is wonderful :)
Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 PM

My house is a mess. lol... No really, it is 1218AM here and I am still up waiting for my husband to come home, normally I am sitting at the table sewing during this time, my oldest which is five goes to school all day the boys both take naps, well the baby sleeps most the time! and they are all three in bed by 800 so I have SEVERAL hours after the kids are in bed to sew and straighten up the house, I sweep and mop of a night time, laundry and the rest of the cleaning through the day. I really only sew when the kids are asleep or we have a couple kids that live up stairs that come down to play so if they are playing with them I sew a few minutes (mainly because the oldest neighbor girl likes to sit and watch me sew). Other than that I put the foot pedal to the floor and get as much done in the time allowed!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:30 PM

Now I am confused when do you sleep???
Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 PM

Love the blocks and can't wait to see it all together.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 AM

well Jeff comes home around 1230am I normally feed Liam right around 100am so we stay up for that sometimes we stay up until 2 or so, then I go to bed, get back up at 300am to feed Liam. it takes him about 15-30 minutes. Then I go back to bed and sleep until 600 when I get up to get my daughter ready for school, in the middle of getting her ready I make sure Jeff is up and getting ready because his first class starts at 740! some days I "catch up" on sleep by taking a nap while the kids sleep through the day! other times i dose on the couch until he comes home from work. some mornings that alarm goes off and it takes EVERYTHING in me to get up and get her ready!

thanks everyone!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM

Love your colors. You're going a great job.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:36 AM

seems like sewing strips, then cutting triangles would be less waste and be faster.....I'm all for faster, quicker, etc. If this won't work for any reason, let me know as I'm planning on doing one....I downloaded a pattern for a square spiderweb, but think yours is prettier... :)