Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Split 9-Patch: Fun, Fast, & Easy! >

Split 9-Patch: Fun, Fast, & Easy!

Split 9-Patch: Fun, Fast, & Easy!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 AM

Again, thanks everyone. Don't be shy about trying this pattern. It's the fastest and easiest one I've ever done. I just finished 2 more and am getting ready to start another.

In my last post, I meant to post a link to show some scrappy little incubator quilts of this design. I failed to post the link. Sorry, Hubby says I am "binge Sewing" right now and can't focus on much else. 'Duh

Anyway, here's the link!

http://quiltsatcs.blogspot.com/2007/04/virtual-retreat-progress.html
Old 02-05-2008, 03:56 PM

I just love the one for your son! I just got some great fabric to use for Split 9-Patch. Now I just have to find the time to actually sew them. Project #137 :roll:
~Tiffany
Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 PM

Hey thanks sooo much!!! I've had a couple of gals suggest these blocks for their ease. Now I can see, they look much more involved than they actually are!!! I just looked at pictures of finished projects until now. Thanks for the great tutorial...I knew my friends were right, they would never guide me in the wrong direction...but I doubted my ability to do such a "difficult looking" block. Boy do I feel silly now!! Your quilts are sooo adorable by the way, and the girls love the tele tubby quilt. They would like to know why you named it tubby ugly :lol: Thanks again for the great links...
and my apologies to my friends that told me how easy these were!! You were very very right girls!!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 PM

Thanks so much for the comments. I'm glad some of you liked the tutorial. I thought it was excellent and easy to follow.

:)

I made the tele tubby quilt because I wanted to try a new quilting design, that I think turned out ugly. Hence the name. Also, I used that fabric because my granddaughter has long outgrown the tubbies so it wouldn't matter so much if I messed it up. I have another one in the frame now that is also a practice quilt.

Again, this block pattern goes together so fast it's worth trying. I'm playing with a scrappy version now (also much smaller scale blocks).

Happy quilting!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:03 AM

I don't think the teletubby quilt is ugly. I think it is cute! If you didn't want to keep it, it would make a great baby gift.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:51 AM

I think I prefer the smaller blocks. The finished quilt looks a bit more difficult than with the bigger blocks. Of course it could just be that I tend to lean toward smaller blocks anyway. :wink: I have laid out my focus fabric for this and just need to pick out the matching fabrics to go with it. Now if the snow would just continue to fall (3 feet plus another 4 inches overnight and more expected), everything will be canceled for today and tomorrow and I can go play in my quilt room! :D
~Tiffany
Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 AM

In the name of quilting, Let it snow!

I've pieced about 8 of these (in various sizes) in the last 2 weeks, and am just now trying a smaller scale in the scrappy version. It's not as fast but just darling.

Tiff, some of these were done with fabrics that coordinate with the focus fabric, and other with "contrast" fabrics. I think it's just a matter of choice. For me, I want to put a dent in my stash. On the other hand, my UFO's are searching for a new and less crowded galaxy! :!:

Here's one more pic ...

This is for my granddaughter that is due in May. The fabric is from the "Precious Moments" collection. It is flame retardant but like sewing with slick marshmellows!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6007[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-6007.jpe  
Old 02-06-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by in2stitchin
In the name of quilting, Let it snow!
:shock: NO! No more snow!!! My poor dog actually refused to go outside to use the bathroom. I am procrastinating but need to go snowblow the half foot of snow we got last night. More is expected tonight. I've got berms 6 feet high and I can't even see my hot tub anymore. While I love to watch it fall but I think I am ready for some sunshine to melt the hockey rink we call streets around here.

However, I am all for the quilting part!!!! Huzzah!

And I love the above quilt. I really do like it in the smaller scale. What size strip did you start with on the above quilt for your granddaughter?
~Tiffany
Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Sorry about your dog ... I just hoped the snow would allow more sewing time. My hot tub is covered with snow too, but that may not stop me.

Actually, that quilt was done with the 6" strips. I'm playing with 2
different one's now. One is a Hanna Montana quilt for my 9 yo granddaughter using the same scale. The other is a scrappy version of a much smaller scale. I had a ton of 3" strips left over from 3 or 4 other quilts done this year, so I used them to start the "scrappy" top. I made 30 - 9-patch blocks last night (just a drop in the bucket) andcompleted 4 of the "super-blocks" (which is 4 of them slashed, swapped, and sewn).

No pics yet, but soon ... soon :!:
Old 02-06-2008, 09:38 AM

:shock: Let me just pick my jaw up off the floor.

I sure wish I lived near you. It sounds like you are efficient and organized and get a lot done!
~Tiffany