Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steve, Here's my reverse applique

Here are pictures of my applique wallhanging. I used both reverse and traditional applique. I'm not sure you can tell the difference on the pictures, but the red part on the buds are reverse appliqued and also the light colored background.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Minda,
    This is a wonderful block, great colors and beautiful applique. I have to get back to doing applique.

That is so beautiful Minda! Your handwork is exquisite!

Have you ever seen molas from Panama? They do wonderful reverse applique. One day, I'll get my collection out and photograph them. I doubt you need new ideas, but you have to make more of those! So pretty! I love your fabrics and design too. :D :D

Thanks for the compliments. The pattern I used is from Karen Kay Buckley, but the color picks were all mine.

Chele, I haven't seen molas from Panama. Please, please post pictures of your collection. I'm really curious. Thanks.

Minda, This is beautiful and your applique is wonderful. I love the choice of colors, the background is very striking. :D

Minda beautiful, beautiful. I have yet to try it, but will one day. Love your choice of fabric. Thank you for posting. :D

Wonderful!! You do beautiful work and I love your colors. Seeing this has made me rethink giving applique another try.

Blog Entries
    It's beautiful - work and color choices!

Minda, I'd like to say I understand it, but just don't. Is what you've done a several part appliqué process? Gadz, I don't mean to be dense...

Very pretty anyway.

Blog Entries
    WOWZER!!!! I bow and scrape at the foot of your monument! Your stitching is fabulous!!! love the colors and fabric choices, too. And SO clever to add that background. (or should i say foreground?) takes the pattern to new heights!

Steve, if you think about it, most applique is a several-part process. pieces are added next to or onto other pieces in their proper order. like putting together a 3-dimensional puzzle. :P

Thanks, everyone. :D

Steve,
    Patrice's explanation is right on. I couldn't say it any better.

I think it's that I've only done the single piece Hawaiian that's throwing me. I remember seeing double layered appliqué patterns when reading books on that, and that folks combine technique sounds reasonable. In a way, it's like traditional blocks that take many steps.

I can hardly wait for the Quilt show coming up Patrice, where I can see some more “puzzles” up close and personal.

Steve,
    Check this out (once on the site, scroll down for reverse applique).

http://quilting.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=quilting&cdn=homegarden&tm=17&gps=97_113_981_429&f=22&su=p284.8.150.ip_&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.quilterscache.com/StartQuiltingPages/startquiltingfour.html

Here's a link to molas, which use the reverse applique technique:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mola_(art_form)

Incredible!

"Several layers (usually two to seven) of different-coloured cloth (usually cotton) are sewn together; the design is then formed by cutting parts of each layer away."

Yikes!

Minda, I have always wanted to try applique, but could never find a pattern I liked.... You have inspired me by the fabric... I love the background fabric you chose. It creates a completely different look for the more traditional center. Thanks for sharing, very nice job. Quilter 1234

I've been planning the appliqué quilt with Gecko's and I think I'll try to work some reverse in the pattern. Looks fascinating!

Steve,
    I'm glad you are going to give it a try. I think you'll like it. :D :D

Absolutely beautiful! (My favorite quilting is applique!) Riley

Really lovely!!! Anyone who is really interested in reverse applique should check out the reverse applique work done by the ladies from Southeast Asia--the Hmongs. Their work is gorgeous, too......We have a large group of them who have just imigrated here to the US a few years ago in our area. Only the older ladies are still sewing, the younger ones are interested in I pods and working at Starbucks. I wish I could think of what it is called......

Minda, I’ve just realized that the reverse appliqué is ideal for a design problem that I was having when planning the Gecko quilt. I wanted the two geckos chasing each other around on a leaf and if I reverse the leaf and appliqué the geckos on top it should work. Of course I’ve several quilts to get done before even setting things in motion, but it will be an opportune time to try the procedure. So don’t be surprised when I start hitting everyone up with questions, even with the nice link on the topic.

Sounds like it will be a cool quilt, Steve.

I hope so. You know I put a lot in to each piece. Yeah sure, I know some can knock 'em out like in a weekend, but for me it takes time; maybe because I've learned so late? Anywho, it's fun and each new tool in the box is making it more so, thanks!

I'm a rather slow quilter also. :roll: My daughter can make a quilt while I'm still thinking about it. :lol: You're still fairly new to quilting, so give yourself time. You're doing a great job! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast