Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: String Quilt

This is my first project after knee surgery--I wanted to sew but still was not up to thinking very much about what I was doing. The blocks reflect my lack of mental well-being--some are off center and the sashing isn't as smooth as I'd like!

Preprinted quilt block design.
    Name:  Attachment-6333.jpe
Views: 118
Size:  84.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like both quilts. Sometimes the ones that aren't perfect in our minds are the ones that mean the most. If not to you than to someone else. I like the shape of them. They are both great. We are also usualy our toughest critic.

Looks fine from here! I like the border.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Holy cow are those beautiful. I want to touch them--snuggle under them- :D

oh they are both beautiful. Oh i just love the colors in the first one. The star quilt is stunning.

Ok your bad day is better than my good day! You did a great job. I like how you used the pre-printed material for the back. :D

your string quilt is amazing. love, love, love it :!: :!: :!: :!:
    i am SO going to steal your idea for the border. (do you mind???)
    the black sashing really sets it off. so nice, and with half your brain tied behind your back :?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock:

Rachel, Your quilt is gorgeous! You are an inspiration to me.
    Hope your knee is better :)

String quilts are so cool - yours is great. Neat idea for a back. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Very nice! Awesome back!

M

Wow! I love it! An explosion of color! The black sashing and border really showcase your strips. I love how you put them together. And it's reversible! Double wow!! :D :D

This is FABULOUS!!

I am new to string quilting, but it is a lot of fun.....where can I find directions for what size to make the triangles? I want my block to be 12" finished.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrhs
    This is FABULOUS!!

I am new to string quilting, but it is a lot of fun.....where can I find directions for what size to make the triangles? I want my block to be 12" finished.
    I cut muslin squares and sewed my strings onto that. If you go that route your muslin determines the finished size. Give yourself an inche of fudge room so you square things up when you finish and have blocks all the same size. Good luck.

Wow, if this is what you are making when you are less than 100%, you are amazing. I love string quilts. Right now I'm using some really ugly loose weave cloth for the backing (I pre washed it to make sure it was not going to shrink. I love these colors, and the design. Great job. Sara

I love the quilt!!!! :)

Very nice. Love the first one with all the colors. Hope you are feeling better.

Kyia

Your colors and design are outstanding. Thanks for sharing...

oh wow! I love them both! probably a little more the second one because of the Christmas colors!

hope your knee mends quickly! to say you didn't think much, they are beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by mgrhs
    This is FABULOUS!!

When I reread your question, I can see I did not answer what you asked. Your initial square should be 1 1/4 inches larger than what you want your finished blocks, so for a 12 inch finished block, you would work with a square of fabric 13 1/4 inches square. I would add another 3/4 inch if I were doing it. After your strings (strips) are all sewn on, THEN you cut them up into 4 triangles. When you sew the triangles back together, you should have a block somewhat larger than 12 1/2 inches, so then you square up those blocks to make a 12 1/2 inch block. It will sew out at 12 inches in your quilt. Hope I haven't thoroughly confused you! Sorry I didn't really answer your question the first time! :)

I really love string quilts, I incorporate string quilting in many of my quilt designs. I like both your quilts, Really pretty, but I like your string one the best, Beautiful job. You sell yourself to short.

I like the "string quilts". The scraps and colors are great to clean the leftovers. I recently did one for a giveaway and it came out quite nice.I used a black binding and it showed off all the colors.barb