Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Suggestions on assembling these blocks please >

Suggestions on assembling these blocks please

Suggestions on assembling these blocks please

Old 07-29-2012, 02:38 PM

I think the first border (maybe 3") and sashing should be in the blue color of the painters tape. I like the lime green in the quilt, maybe use that for a narrow strip (maybe 1.5") and then finish off with another border (same size of 1st) of blue? That would make the quilt itself the showcase, which is what it should be. Great quilt!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by ScrapQuilter View Post
I like the way it looks on the design wall and the blue take at to the quilt.... lol I think I would go with a blue boarder and bind with a scrappy binding left over material from the block.
Yes! That would be perfect! I love this scrappy little beauty & can't wait to see it done!

And P. S: allow me to show my ignorance here... is this a pattern or did you make this design up yourself? I love it!!!

Last edited by burchquilts; 07-30-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 AM

nice bright bold colors I like it very much and all the ideas that have been posted sound great so I do not know what I could add except have a ton of fun putting it all together.
Pat
Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 AM

I had one like that and put dark green blocks between each of the colored blocks. It double the size with no effort and calmed the quilt down. Is that what you are asking. I love bright scrappy blocks but your eye needs a resting place in order to take it all in. Think of nature--one flower--lots of leaves.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I think I would start by positioning all the blocks with the smaller pieced center squares to the right. I would then see if any of the colours were touching and change those. You could also switch the positioning of the smaller center pieces to alternate if you like it better. They look great with that blue tape you have around them. I think I would look for fabric in that colour for the first border and then a wider border of the orange?
I totally agree, especially the border suggestions.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 AM

These are mostly "blues" - I would use a thin inner border of an "orange" - opposite blue on the color wheel and a blue outer border. I agree with an earlier suggestion of curves in quilting. I think concentric circles going out from the center of each block would be awesome. Good luck
Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 AM

These blocks are so vibrant, so full of energy, they almost beg to be set on pointe, just to add to the sense of energy and movement. Then you could use half square triangles of almost any color (love that blue), or more than one color (which would be my choice, up to 3 colors) to fill in around your blocks. Then a very vibrant narrow border, something from the quilt that really stands out and is noticed. I'd think you'd have to get the top together before you could "audition" for this part. Then a wider border for the edge; I'm thinking one of the lighter colors from the top. Then just for fun, a binding made up of strips of all (or at least many) of the colors in the top. IMHO.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 AM

nice bright bold colors I like it very much and all the ideas that have been posted sound great so I do not know what I could add except have a ton of fun putting it all together.
Pat
Old 07-30-2012, 06:57 AM

Do you need it to be a little bit larger? If you do you could put a white, black or blue 1" finished sashing between the blocks and then a 2" or 3" border of the same. Then a piano key final border if you have enough scraps left.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Wow! thanks ladies for all the suggestions.

Setting on point was not something that even crossed my mind - hence putting the request out on the board; there is so much talent and plethora of ideas.

I do love the colors and the energy the blocks give off; I am a conundrum to myself :-). I mostly do primitive colors, and lots of applique, but every once in a while I allow myself to journey into vibrant colors. They are so fun to work with. My avatar is a quilt I recently made for a quilt swap. It was a fun change of pace to work in those bold colors.

Burchquilts - I tried to find the pattern but my studio is in the midst of transformation. I will the locate the pattern and share it with you.

Thanks everyone for your input, whether it was a suggestion or comment. I will post a photo when the top/quilt is completed.

best,
d

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
These blocks are so vibrant, so full of energy, they almost beg to be set on pointe, just to add to the sense of energy and movement. Then you could use half square triangles of almost any color (love that blue), or more than one color (which would be my choice, up to 3 colors) to fill in around your blocks. Then a very vibrant narrow border, something from the quilt that really stands out and is noticed. I'd think you'd have to get the top together before you could "audition" for this part. Then a wider border for the edge; I'm thinking one of the lighter colors from the top. Then just for fun, a binding made up of strips of all (or at least many) of the colors in the top. IMHO.