Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Tale of Woe Barn Raising Log Cabin >

Tale of Woe Barn Raising Log Cabin

Tale of Woe Barn Raising Log Cabin

Old 04-29-2012, 05:26 AM

Default Tale of Woe Barn Raising Log Cabin

I'm really inexperienced in attempting to post pics only 2 uploaded. My challenging QAUG Log Cabin. It met several obstacles in it's making as it continued to grow, and grow and will only relate the bigger ones. I had to be very careful when putting it together due to the colors that I chose, as I switched the darks and light blocks. I discovered I didn't have enough fabric I bought in Vegas last spring which I wanted to be the main fabric so back to the drawing board. I pieced and quilted each section. I wisely laid out the blocks and took pics of the block placement. I thought I was being so efficient. After sewing the blocks together stepped back to review and discovered I switched the quilted blocks around in one section. What to do.. out came the seam ripper. As this quilt is nearing the finish line, I started running out of batting and backing. I used bamboo batting I bought at a quilt show special and was assured there would be enough for my quilt, even using the QAUG method. As I'm nearing the end it became very obvious both batting and backing was getting scarce. At the end I had just a very small scrap left over. I had this marvel idea that what this quilt needs are delectable mountain borders to surround my log cabin. Everything was sailing along smoothly as I put on the the last border and I was beginning to give a sigh of relief as I was pressing the second border when my iron surged hot as I was pressing and blew up. It scorched a hugh portion of 2nd border and delectible mountain. Heartsick I took a breather. Made the decision I had no choice but to take out the top damaged area, put new batting on top of the scorched one, fix the mountain and border section and go for it. I had redesigned the pattern after carefully measuring the bed to make sure it was going to fit. I quilted the borders free motion on my domestic machine. When finished the quilt is too long for a queen, not wide enough for king, and too small for a California king. It is laid out on a king. This is when I start questioning whether I am meant to be a quilter and the answer to that is definitely yes.
Attached Thumbnails 100_0641.jpg   100_0624.jpg  
Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 AM

Oh my that is pretty! Sooo sorry about your troubles with it. Have you figured out where did those dratted measurements went awry?? What size bed were you making it for? And I never heard of an iron blowing up!!
The quilt's extra length could be taken up by tucking it under the pillows. And if you use a bed skirt it might not be too narrow.
Or if you wanted to make it shorter, you could cut the mountains and top border(s) off, leaving a couple inches of either the green or the purple. The pillows will cover the top edge anyway.
I think you did a great job!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:01 AM

So sorry you had trouble, the quilt is beautiful and thank you for sharing
Have a Blessed day
Ellen
Old 04-29-2012, 06:07 AM

Despite your problems along the way - it is one very gorgeous quillt - conintue to do what you are doing - you were a born quilter!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Great color combination Glad you didn't let all the obstacles stop you from finishing Yes - you are a quilter ! LOL
Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 AM

Do you need my addy? I think it will be a lovely addition to my new house!
It's beautiful!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 AM

Beautiful colours and work!
Send it to Australia if you are still upset??
You are going to keep quilting!!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 AM

WOW! First of all...it is gorgeous! Just love your colors and creativeness with it. Secondly....I really feel your pain of it not turning out the way you had anticipated at several of the steps. Thirdly.....yep, you are meant to be a quilter!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 AM

Don't you just love purple and green together? It's lovely.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful work!!!!!!!!!!