Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Talk-About Books! (and a question on which batting you'd want)

Blog Entries

Talk-About Books! (and a question on which batting you'd want)

I have now made five.
    I finally have the measurements finalized, and I have a nice collection of fabrics selected and cut. I'm working on the best fabric for the title pages. I found great markers. I made 14 peek-a-boo blocks (these are from the "Surprise" quilt by kariepatch patterns), but need to work on another batch.

Colors are my focus now. I want to keep it mostly in primary colors. I love Moda Swirls and Marbles.

Check out the difference in puffiness between the cotton and poly battings. Which would you want?

Be sure to see the bananas, balloons, frogs, cities...!

I'll attach pics for #5 next.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-21-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the delay--I had to get horses off grass!

Grrr--the photos were listed in opposite order so I deleted the cover of the first instead of the added cover to the 2nd book. And too much time passed so I can't edit. Good grief! I added it at the bottom...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by barnbum; 06-10-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Those are sew adorable.

Blog Entries
    They are super cute and I think I would prefer the cotton. They would be easier handled and would seem to lay smoother when quilting. You did a really nice job on them. I might just make one for my great grandson. I know he would love it. His mother( my only granddaughter) is a school teacher.

sassy granny

Fantastic idea!

These are so, so cute! I think the flatter batting would work best. Great idea!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    These are just precious! You have done a super job with them. Even adults would want one! I personally would go with the cotton batting.

I would prefer the cotton batting imho

Just adorable.

Very creative!

Those are fantastic! Did you use a pattern? I would love to make some of those. Thanks for sharing.

Banned
    You've done a fabulous job on them.
    I agree about the cotton batt.

They are so darling. I vote polyester batting. Hobbs Thermore is very thin, mainly used for quilted patchwork jackets and would wash. I can just see a child enchanted by these and playing with it constantly
    DEB CAVAN

Those are adorable. I wish I had a kid to make those for!
    I think I like the flatter one myself, but I bet any money if you put a set out for sale the puffy ones would sell quicker to the general public. Just the perception of more would draw people to it.

Your books are really cute. I see a butterfly fabric in the first picture, do you have any more of that or where to get it. I have a panel like it but need at least a yard to go with it.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I think the poofier poly batting would be easier for little hands to grab, hold and scrunch up and much more forgiving of scrunching. Cotton batting has memory so if the book gets scrunched up and shoved somewhere (like in between some sofa cusions) it will remember those creases and may take some doing to get them out and have the book lay flat again. Poly has no such "memory".

Edited to add, I think poly will wash easier as well. Dry quicker etc. I just love these talkabout books. So clever. You need to make one that has related peekaboos. Like the one with the road fabric going through the city, the peekaboo could be cars, trucks, etc. Food fabric could be combined with fabric of the kind of animal that likes to eat that food... bananas-monkeys, apples-horses, fish with kitty cats, flowers with ladybugs or bees or butterflies. The farm animals could be combined with barn fabric. You could do all kinds of fun "relation" type things.
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 06-11-2012 at 06:32 AM.

All are very adorable, I only use poly batting for my quilts. I have never made a book, don't know what I would use for them. You are very creative.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I got the butterfly fabric off ebay. Once I get home I can look up the seller and PM you if you can't find it in a search.

feline fanatic--you make some great points I didn't know about. I think I'll find a thinner poly and go with that. The poofy stuff is a little harder to work with.

I cannot believe how these are selling. I can't keep up! (yet lol)

I'm getting requests for the pattern. I cannot give it out because the one blocks are not my design. Sorry!

Very nice! Great gift idea. I like the flatter look of the cotton, but if they're going to get washed alot, and they probably will, the poly would probably be best. Maybe you could use low loft poly?

Really cute!!!!

Each one is adorable. I vote for cotton batting. Thanks for sharing and I wish you great success with your venture.
    The bad news is - time flies.
    The good news is - you're the pilot!

What a delightful peek-a-boo soft, brightly colored, easily identified objects, counting, movement, colors, a real hands on book for children!
    It has things small children like, food and animals, things that go, it will generate much conversation between the children as they explore it. What a lot of fun you created! A lovely interactive storybook.

Power Poster
    Very cute!!!