Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tall Ship wall hanging - Finished Pics on Page 4

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    So, after lots of thought, I decided to make this wall hanging for my mother in law for Christmas. Pretty much everything in their house is nautical themed (she a lawyer, marine law, my father in law is president of a government company that hires ship pilots to go through the sea-way, and he's an ex ship capitain) so we decided that this was a safe bet. I made them a quilt last year with the mariners compass on it and it was a huge hit.
    This is my first attempt at appliqué. I've never done a 'landscape quilt' before and was very skeptical of raw-edge appliqué too, so I wasn't too sure of how I would like this, and my background was a huge challenge. I *think* I'm going to leave it pretty much the way it is now, save for a few birds in the sky that I forgot to put in. That is, I'm not going to do any quilting in the sky area like I did in the water.

I also think I'm going to go back in with my brush and delicately add some darker colour around the ship's sails because I find they don't pop out of the back enough. I should have made the boat mirror image and on the left instead of the right, since the sky was darker there... oh well, live and learn,

I made the background by soaking my fabric with water, and spritzing it as I went with a poosh-poosh bottle (that thingy we use to spray water at the cats when they're misbehaving).
    Then I mixed some acrylic colours with lots of water and used some watercolour brushes to apply the colour onto the fabric. This was my first time trying it and it turned out exactly as I had expected. I'm not sure how well it will wash, but I'm not really planning on washing this, since it's a wall hanging. I've had many acrylic pain accidents and the stuff just does not come out of my clothes, so I imagine this is permanent.
    I didn't have a pattern, I just used a few images of tall ships and went with that... I realize there are a few sails missing but I don't care at this point, anyone who has nothing better to do than point out the flaws in my artistic licence can just shove it... ok? LOL, so without further ado, here you go!
    Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions as to what I could add.
    I was thinking maybe a teeny tiny lighthouse on the rocks in the middle... but I'm not sure.

P.S. those thingy's in the sky are safety pins, I forgot to take them out for the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oops, forgot one pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it's beautiful!! I'm willing to adopt if you would like to make another hehehe

Melanie, it's beautiful. I agree, you may want to darken around the sails a tad. A lighthouse would look cool but not necessary. You are a true artist!!!

nice work!!!! great idea used a pattern or freehand?

Wow simply stunning!!!

free hand

That is beautiful! As much as I love lighthouses, I would leave it like it is. What a wonderful artist you are!!! :thumbup:

You're an artist with multiple talents! Beautiful picture--I know she'll love it!

I love it just the way it is!!

Wow, that is really a work of art.

Love it!! What a great gift and your work is beautiful.

You know, I really liked working with paints and dying the fabrics, I really want to try another one now!
    I got a PM with some fantastic tips and suggestions for fabric painting and dye that I just have to try now :)

And to think, I was going to take the easy way out and follow the step by step instructions in the landscape quilt book... I like the way mine turned out better! I'm glad I tried something new :P

ETA: Oh yeah, I meant to add that I bought this awesome nautical themed fabric last year, having no clue what to use it for, but it was so nice I HAD to have it... So I'll use some of that for my backing and some nice borders around the edge :)
    I think I bought 5 or 6 prints in that collection, so I definately have a good selection to choose from :)

Blog Entries
    I absolutely LOVE IT!!! :D :D :D :D
    I agree with a little more accent around the sails. I love the ship!!! WOW!!! One suggestion, you may want to do a little quilting in the sky, not for the look, but if it is ever washed, the batting there may shift and it may keep it from hanging flat and straight... JMHO
    I don't think you have to worry about the acrylic paints...I have clothes that have acrylic on them and the paint has been washed and dryed many times :wink:

that is absolutely spectacular, my kids are sailors, I may be doing some quilts and other things with a nautical theme for them, I may have to borrow some of the ideas here.

Love it...a work of art. Your M-I-L will love it.

_duplicate_

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I absolutely LOVE IT!!! :D :D :D :D
    I agree with a little more accent around the sails. I love the ship!!! WOW!!! One suggestion, you may want to do a little quilting in the sky, not for the look, but if it is ever washed, the batting there may shift and it may keep it from hanging flat and straight... JMHO
    I don't think you have to worry about the acrylic paints...I have clothes that have acrylic on them and the paint has been washed and dryed many times :wink:
    Actually, I ran out of batting, so I used a piece of white fleece that was in my pile... it shouldn't shift around. The only thing I'm worried about is it looking funny because I haven't quilted the sky... I just love how it looks unquilted I don't want to go and put more texture in there and ruin the effect I've got going there. Maybe I'll suck it up and do it anyway :?

You really are an artist Mel - you've got the eye, and the ability to create emotion from the viewer...that is, me! I melted when I saw it. If I were your MIL, I'd probably start crying! Nice job kiddo!

Oh wow, great job. She will love it.

Living at the beach, I love anything nautical but I just have to tell you, this quilt is simply amazingly beautiful!! She will love it...and if she doesn't you just pop it in the mail for me!! LOL!!

I probably would put something like a light house, very small and unobtrusive, on the horizon to give it some depth and perception.
    Before committing...cut out your pieces and see how it looks before permanent...
    I love it...beautiful.
    Kirsten

Blog Entries
    Awesome!

Truly a stunner.. fantastic job Bare..

Absolutely beautiful! I wanna make something fantastic like that! Where does one even begin to know what to do!?! I love it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast