Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Is there a pattern? >

Is there a pattern?

Is there a pattern?

Old 04-12-2023, 06:06 PM

I caught this thread the other day and have been curious if the pattern had been found and now that I see that it has I can say …. I like it!
Old 04-12-2023, 06:11 PM

Another puzzle solved. Love the quilt design.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:41 AM

From the pictures of that quilt, I still am not seeing that the sashing was created from separate half square blocks but I am thinking that's the only "easy" way to get those in there. Doing the sashing the length of the original block and putting triangles on the ends would be so confusing to get it all coordinated, even though it would certainly cut down on the bulk of the extra seams. If anyone finds an easy way to do that, please speak up.
It would work if all of the sashing triangles and cornerstones were the same (Jenny Doan's method) but not if you want them all different as in the example. Am I correct?
Old 04-13-2023, 04:08 AM

Illinois, try visualizing the pattern with gridlines extending all the way up and all the way across. The sashing ends up having a bunch of half-square triangles and a solid block, each the same size as the center block of the friendship star that forms on the sashing.

You can either make a bunch of friendship stars and then add sashing by creating a bunch of half-square triangles and solid blocks to align around four of your ready-made stars. ( On the schematic ignore the friendship stars on the outside as those are all sashing-related stars if you want to make friendship stars and then merge them into the quilt.)

or

line up your quilt by rows and then web your stars together.
Attached Thumbnails grid.jpg   row-1.jpg   row-2.jpg   row-3.jpg  
Old 04-13-2023, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Looks like some designed it on EQ back in 2006 http://catsnqlts2.blogspot.com/2006/04/saturday.html

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
WTG!! Your ability to track things down is wonderful!
Old 04-14-2023, 02:54 AM

Thanks to ibex94 for another way of constructing this. I wonder what the original pattern was for this one. All we've come up with is the picture and I love it! Friendship Star is among my favorites anyhow and this duplicates it with the sashing as it is. Then the thing will be how to quilt it! (I'm a hand quilter.)
Old 04-14-2023, 03:10 AM

Illinois -- What sized square are you thinking about using? If you go to 5" blocks you can do a lot of wonderful designs in the center of the block and then stitch in the ditch elsewhere. Maybe you should start a friendship star exchange on the board? That will ensure a lot of different colors and fabrics. I am trying to find time to put together a small wall hanging of this pattern with some of the birthday candies swap 2.5" squares that I've collected. If I manage to do it.... don't hold your breath on this one... I will post it in this thread.

This has been a nice rabbit hole for me. Thank you!