Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are these Mini's

Blog Entries
    I don't know if she know it or not however I am being mentored by someone here on making mini's........I have only dabbled.........now I am ready to start......calla/Sue

11 x 11 inches
    Name:  Attachment-217124.jpe
Views: 80
Size:  2.55 MB

8 x 7 inches
    Name:  Attachment-217125.jpe
Views: 72
Size:  2.10 MB

I don't know if there's a certain size description for a mini quilt, but I think yours are mini. I love your little brown bird quilt.

I would say those are minis

Blog Entries
    Very nice minis!! You catch on real quick, and I like your designs.

Looks like mini's to me, and very nice ones at that! Good job.

sweet, great start!

Look like minis to me.

I don't think there's a specific size that makes a quilt a mini....just criteria for judging and/or swapping so everyone is comparing similar sizes. GREAT JOB, Calla!!

I would call them mini's. But to be a true mini they have to be 1/12 the size of the original block.

I think you are doing a great job on your minis.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marymm
    I don't know if there's a certain size description for a mini quilt, but I think yours are mini. I love your little brown bird quilt.
    mostly under 18" with pieces under 2"!

According to Sandra Hatch editor of STITCH 'N SEW QUILT IN THE jAN/fEB ISSUE she give patterns ranging in size from 10 1/2"X 12 1/2" to 26 1/2" X26 1/2". She also states that "most of our patterns are for 2" or 3" blocks. The quilts made from these blocks range in size according to the intended use of the finished piece". So with that in mind your quilt is what you want to call it. Can I call it Mine esp the one with the bird?

Blog Entries
    For me, a miniature quilt is anything that's under 24" square.

Look at the AAQI - those are quilts that are 9"x12" or smaller.

I don't know if they are mini's, but they sure are pretty

I see great potential in your mini-making success! Both are great, but I love the little bird best! Yes, they both are considered minis and you show much promise! Keep up the good work! :-D :-D ;-) ;-)

Blog Entries
    If it quacks like a duck.....
    L ove them.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    nice work !! who cares about the quilt police, mini's unless you are entering an exhibit !..

Blog Entries
    precious!

Yes, I would call them mini's. I don't think I have made one
    that small.

Sweet (I don't know much about the "rules" for mini quilts). Love the one with the little brown bird.

Senior Member Crazy Quiltin Robin's Avatar
    These are really cute Sue ........ how did you know I'm thinking about making LITTLE QUILTS I have decided to do small things .... look on my page at the yo yos my mom made they are going to be made into pillows .... hey can your make a mini yo yo quilt????? Have fun with you minis friend .......

Blog Entries
    According to the definitions I read - your blocks in your miniature quilt have a 1 to 4 ratio to a block in a full size quilt. So if the full-size quilt block is 12" finished then you can make a 3" finished block and go 4 blocks across and 4 blocks down and without sashing or borders would have a 12" square quilt. You could also make 4" blocks and do 3 rows of 3" blocks. You could add sashing and a border and as long as your top or bottom dimensions did not exceed 24" your quilt would be considered a miniature. Now, you could also have a quilt that kept within the 24" x 24" criteria, but if it was comprised of 6" blocks (four across and four rows - no sashing and no borders) you would not have a miniature quilt, but a small quilt. From what I have read, the 1/12 scale is what is used for making things for miniature doll houses. So taking what I have read in to consideration, your leaf quilt is considered a small quilt (5 1/2" - or a little less - blocks), but your little bird quilt would be considered a mini.

But I am not the quilt police and your quilts are darling. It is fun to go small, and as long as you are having fun and enjoy what your are doing and don't plan on entering them in any quilt shows under the miniature category - who cares about the AQS criteria. Right? (At least that is the way I approach the miniature quilts that I do)

Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    I would call them mini's. But to be a true mini they have to be 1/12 the size of the original block.
    That's what we use in our dollhouses and room boxes. I usually buy cheater fabric cause I don't have the patience to do the real thing.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your comments and information, I didn't know all that about the mini's................I do regreat not paying attention in algerbra..............I was a dreamer..............and the cheater fabric..............hum.............I wonder............thanks again one and all...............calla

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calla
    Thank you all for your comments and information, I didn't know all that about the mini's................I do regreat not paying attention in algerbra..............I was a dreamer..............and the cheater fabric..............hum.............I wonder............thanks again one and all...............calla
    Calla - you can use thangles for 1/2 sq triangles and there are a bunch of patterns out there for paperpiecing. You can also do two color 4 patches or multi-colored nine patches by strip piecing and cutting apart in to segments. I did a paper-pieced log cabin where the blocks are 1 3/4". If you do your foundation on water soluable or the foundation that is so thin that washing it makes it "disappear" you won't have the issue of having to remove it. Paper-piecing allows you to use bigger pieces of fabric for the parts of a small block. All sorts of books out there about miniatures. Have fun!

Awesome job Calla.
    Keep sewing.

Sandra

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast