Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Thrift Shop find part 2 >

Thrift Shop find part 2

Thrift Shop find part 2

Old 09-13-2023, 08:58 AM

Default Thrift Shop find part 2

Some of you wanted to know Angie’s reaction when she picked up her quilt. She was very pleased. She said again how she always wanted an old timey looking quilt (patchwork) and she loved the meander quilting I did. I personally think it should have been hand quilted to keep it the old timey look, but I wasn’t going to do it!-lol I have a ‘hang-up’ about accepting payment my sister tries to reason with me saying why shouldn’t I get paid. I tell her it’s usually friends wanting something done and so I hate to charge them for something they couldn’t do and I can. I guess I am still from the old school we help each other. I help you with something and if time comes I need help, you help me. Anyway, so when she started to say she knew she owed me for supplies, I interrupted and said here were her tickets for backing, batting, etc
she then asked would $100 cover my labor? I said oh Angie no, if you want to give something just give $50. When she left, she had laid the cost of supplies plus the $100 on my coffee table. I told my husband I feel so guilty accepting this from a friend. I squared up the blocks. Sewed them into a top, quilted and put binding on. I know others do this as a business but I usually give. I give to veterans, family and charities so why do I feel guilty,when someone wants and in this case does give to me?

ps. She text me as I’m writing this post. She said she thinks I did a terrific job quilting and she loves her quilt!
review of quilt picture
Attached Thumbnails img_0383.jpeg   fullsizerender.jpeg  
Old 09-13-2023, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

It turned out great!

be grateful for a friend and/or relative that actually values your work!
Old 09-13-2023, 11:26 AM

WOW That is really beautiful! Great Job

Old 09-13-2023, 02:30 PM

You did do a wonderful job and I'm sure she will love using that quilt! and i love her bed skirt. very pretty too.
use the money to keep on going...... sometimes we are meant to pay back.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:10 AM

Smiles all around for both the quilter and recipient! You have a lovely heart for giving and so does your sister. What matters most is the intention behind the giving.....a grateful heart. Now you can pay it forward with more quilts to gift others in the charities you support.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:11 AM

You did a great job, Toogie. Those blocks made a beautiful quilt.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:17 AM

It's beautiful!! You should take the money for your work. Then take your sister out for lunch to spend it.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:14 AM

You saved those blocks and the quilt is beautiful.

From what you know, does your friend struggle to pay bills, put aside for savings?

How would you feel about having someone do something for you that you could not do yourself? Would you want to pay them, through cash/barter/gift?

As long as she is able to afford the money, I don't think you should feel guilty. How about using the money toward a project earmarked for one of the charities you support, such as Quilts of Valor.