Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Tiny crumbs

  1. #1
    Super Member oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    9,702
    Blog Entries
    1
    I tea dyed the blocks so the mishmash of fabrics would blend better.

    A mini done with 2" finished crumb blocks
    Name:  Attachment-181415.jpe
Views: 95
Size:  109.2 KB

    This one uses 1 1/2" crumb blocks
    Name:  Attachment-181418.jpe
Views: 96
Size:  96.0 KB

    A 2 1/2" crumb block
    Name:  Attachment-181555.jpe
Views: 101
Size:  44.1 KB

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mabank, Texas
    Posts
    8,311
    They are all very nice. Thanks for sharing the tea dye hint to help blend some of the colors.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Linda B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    678
    I really do like your crumbs. I haven't been able to say that about all I've seen, but I do like yours. Did you tea dye after the blocks were made? They have a kind of antique look.

  4. #4
    karla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Burgundy (France)
    Posts
    92
    Very nice

  5. #5
    Super Member oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    9,702
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    I really do like your crumbs. I haven't been able to say that about all I've seen, but I do like yours. Did you tea dye after the blocks were made? They have a kind of antique look.
    Yes I did tea dye, but only the blocks. After dyeing, I dried in the dryer; rinsed with cool water; and dried in the dryer again. I used the suggested strength of 1 Qt hot water and 4 tea bags ( I buy the cheaper brands for this) and let fabrics stay in the water for at least 30 minutes.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,616
    Blog Entries
    14
    That's neat!

  7. #7
    Super Member wanderingcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,706
    Awesome! Love the tea dyeing idea. Does the color hold up through multiple washings or does it eventually fade out?

  8. #8
    Super Member Grandma58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    montana
    Posts
    1,424
    NIce!

  9. #9
    Super Member oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    9,702
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingcreek
    Awesome! Love the tea dyeing idea. Does the color hold up through multiple washings or does it eventually fade out?
    I think that it will fade out eventually, but not sure how many times these will be washed:wink:

  10. #10
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,327
    Clever...they are very pretty. Thanks for sharing the tip..I think it could be very useful. I was just thinking, you could maybe use a very light coloured dye, maybe pastel blues or palest pinks to make randoms more cohesive? Hmm...this group always inspires so many ideas!

  11. #11
    Super Member crafty_linda_b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Posts
    1,573
    You have more patience than I do...they look cute...my old eyes wouldn't let me do that...good job!! crafty_linda_b

  12. #12
    Senior Member CarolLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    618
    Very cute!! I have been wondering what something looked like made with tiny crumbs. Thanks for sharing.. Oh the ideas... lol

  13. #13
    Super Member dhanke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    1,445
    Adorable, the tea dye is a great idea.

  14. #14
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,423
    Blog Entries
    1
    Your crumb quilt is beautiful!!

  15. #15
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VIRGINIA
    Posts
    22,678
    VERY NICE

  16. #16
    Super Member jmabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    1,523
    Blog Entries
    1
    And to think I always throw crumbs away, very nice

  17. #17
    a regular here Donna Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lebanon Maine
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    I really do like your crumbs. I haven't been able to say that about all I've seen, but I do like yours. Did you tea dye after the blocks were made? They have a kind of antique look.
    Yes I did tea dye, but only the blocks. After dyeing, I dried in the dryer; rinsed with cool water; and dried in the dryer again. I used the suggested strength of 1 Qt hot water and 4 tea bags ( I buy the cheaper brands for this) and let fabrics stay in the water for at least 30 minutes.
    Very nice!! Great way to use up scraps and the way it blends the blocks together is great. Thanks for the recipe!

  18. #18
    a regular here Donna Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lebanon Maine
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Clever...they are very pretty. Thanks for sharing the tip..I think it could be very useful. I was just thinking, you could maybe use a very light coloured dye, maybe pastel blues or palest pinks to make randoms more cohesive? Hmm...this group always inspires so many ideas!
    Another great idea! I have a photo I took of a friends ultralight plane I am working on and couldnt find the fabric to shadow the different parts of it to put on the background fabric . By dying with diff coloured dyes it should work! thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    a regular here Donna Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lebanon Maine
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by jmabby
    And to think I always throw crumbs away, very nice
    I always have too...now they have a reason to keep them.

  20. #20
    Super Member KarenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,924
    Blog Entries
    8
    Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    9,344
    I like the tea dye. I have a lot of crumbs that I am saving in hopes of one day using them. Thanks for sharing.

    Sewfine

  22. #22
    Power Poster debcavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spring Green,WI
    Posts
    14,630
    It is wonderful. Isn't that the greatest way to get fabrics to blend perfectly

  23. #23
    Power Poster debcavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spring Green,WI
    Posts
    14,630
    It is wonderful. Isn't that the greatest way to get fabrics to blend perfectly

  24. #24
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    4,743
    Love the tea dyeing - very pretty!

  25. #25
    Super Member Midwestmary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    1,006
    Blog Entries
    11
    Love the effect of the tea dye - thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.