Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Train quilt border question

Here is the train quilt I am making for my dad. I was planning on putting a 6in border that looked like train tracks on it which would make it about 5ft wide(ok) by 8ft tall :( :( .

My dad is 6ft so that would give him room to tuck his feet in but its looking so skinny and tall :( I'm worried it will look dumb.

Would it look silly to add borders on the sides only. Or should I just do the border all around and chalk it up to learning moment to plan finished size more and wing it a little less??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Before I read what you wrote, I looked at the photo. I thought, man, she needs a railroad track on the border. I say that your plan is great. It will work well for your dad since he's tall, and the theme will add to the quilt.

I think your DD will love it- a quilt that is too short is no quilt at all (I just made that up). The RR tracks are just what it needs!!!

since it is made specifically for your dad, making it for his body size will be just the right thing to do. he will love that it is made long enough for him. looks quite nice.

pab

Blog Entries
    By all means,add the rr tracks.Great looking quilt. pab

a regular here
    RR track borders get my vote.

Who says a quilt has to have 4 borders I'd put on sides and bottom can't see up over the pillows. and then wouldn't be 8 feet long but longer for a tall dad!!

Yes, it screams railroad track. What a cute quilt!

Blog Entries
    Ditto, ditto, ditto.. where did you. Get the PATTERN? My grandson is crazy about trains

If you add borders on the sides only, how about the brown color you have between the rows? I think that would blend in well, then your RR tracks. I have enjoyed watching the progress on this quilt! Make sure you post when it is done!

Thanks for the advice. I'll just go with tall and skinny. LOL

For gal288 here is where I got the pattern from. http://www.hobby-tronics.com/Chiloqu...the_Month.html

Blog Entries
    What a great and creative quilt! :thumbup: The RR tracks will be perfect. Your Dad will be so happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    Before I read what you wrote, I looked at the photo. I thought, man, she needs a railroad track on the border. I say that your plan is great. It will work well for your dad since he's tall, and the theme will add to the quilt.
    Yes....You have a Great Plan! :thumbup: The track border would be perfect! My thought exactly after seeing your pic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pester
    Thanks for the advice. I'll just go with tall and skinny. LOL

For gal288 here is where I got the pattern from. http://www.hobby-tronics.com/Chiloqu...the_Month.html
    thanks a bunch, I'm thinking Xmas maybe.

:P

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    What a wonderful quilt for your Dad!! :D

Blog Entries
    Go with the track border.. I saw one made with it and it looked great!

Cha
    I love the train track idea..but since when is a track streight? You could make a double track on each side with a turn...or how about senery on the sides... barn...or the depot? trees? Its your quilt...so whatever you want to create goes. Nothing is ever wrong..its an origional : )

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    It makes sense that a "railroad" be only on the sides! Think about it. The track doesn't go sideways behind the train!

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Yes, it screams railroad track. What a cute quilt!
    agree.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlonger
    Who says a quilt has to have 4 borders I'd put on sides and bottom can't see up over the pillows. and then wouldn't be 8 feet long but longer for a tall dad!!
    This sounds just right to me.

Technically it will only be 96" when the track is added. But if he really gets into it and rolls over, you might want to widen the sides a bit. (Daddy's like to keep their tush's warm too.) I would suggest a brown strip like you have already - maybe 4-6" wide added just to the sides. Have something embroidered in there about Dad or a special message from you to Dad. That will widen it some. Then add the track to the whole thing or just the sides which ever looks good when you get there. If you want you could do RR crossing arms on the corners where you add the brown. If you did have embroidery work done, they could probably also add some initials or whatever to some of the cars for a nominal amount. I would bind it in the same fabric you used for the wheels. Voila! Nice size all around. You did a wonderful job! He's obviously an inspiration to you. (You must be his little caboose)

Blog Entries
    Wow is all I can say..great job. I cant wait to see it with the railroad tracks added.

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    Technically it will only be 96" when the track is added. But if he really gets into it and rolls over, you might want to widen the sides a bit. (Daddy's like to keep their tush's warm too.) I would suggest a brown strip like you have already - maybe 4-6" wide added just to the sides. Have something embroidered in there about Dad or a special message from you to Dad. That will widen it some. Then add the track to the whole thing or just the sides which ever looks good when you get there. If you want you could do RR crossing arms on the corners where you add the brown. If you did have embroidery work done, they could probably also add some initials or whatever to some of the cars for a nominal amount. I would bind it in the same fabric you used for the wheels. Voila! Nice size all around. You did a wonderful job! He's obviously an inspiration to you. (You must be his little caboose)
    Thanks for the idea. He is rail thin but this is a nap/chair blanket for him. I had thought about making it long enough to tuck his feet in but haden't considered the rolling over part thanks. He has parkinsons so tends to nap during the day.

I am his little girl :-) . I love him to bits. I hope he loves this quilt. Its a surprise. Hopefully I'll have it done by Fathers Day.

Lovely quilt! I love trains, and your quilt! What about putting some scenery fabric on the sides, to make it wider? Some grass, some towns, some water, some rocks or fields, etc.? Just borders on the sides would be fine!