Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Treadle Sewing Machine >

Treadle Sewing Machine

Treadle Sewing Machine

Old 10-05-2009, 01:54 PM

There are a couple of great sites where you can learn how to pretty them up - Treadle On , Needlebar. Lots of info there on restoring them and their cabinets. It does not matter that your decals are worn, that is part of the patina of age. Just never put methylated spirits, or kerosine, or WD40 on the decals as it removes them. They love sewing machine oil so you oil them inside and you can clean their silver parts with Autosol, a car bumper bar polish. To see what can be done sewing wise look up Damascus Jane on Google, she runs a whole business treadle quilting with treadle machines, amazing lady. Hope all that helps
Old 10-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wings
There are a couple of great sites where you can learn how to pretty them up - Treadle On , Needlebar. Lots of info there on restoring them and their cabinets. It does not matter that your decals are worn, that is part of the patina of age. Just never put methylated spirits, or kerosine, or WD40 on the decals as it removes them. They love sewing machine oil so you oil them inside and you can clean their silver parts with Autosol, a car bumper bar polish. To see what can be done sewing wise look up Damascus Jane on Google, she runs a whole business treadle quilting with treadle machines, amazing lady. Hope all that helps
Thank you, Wings. I'm glad you told me about the kerosine and WD40. I don't know what methylated spirits are, but I surely will try to find out.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM

In Aus it is known as Metho or Methylated spirits, it is used for cleaning - and is a liquid in a bottle, flammable, and is too harsh for cleaning the gold decals. Just a very soft rag and a bit of dishwashing liquid and warm water will clean them. You can polish the machine with a car polish but I have to check for the name with husband. ISMACS is another good net site, is the sewing machine collectors site. Hope all that helps GailG. I have a 1884 hand crank, Singer, she still works. Hard to get the needles for her though as they are very long ones. I have found I can use Organ brand needles with the round top that fits into the needlebar and drop them down a bit before tightening the screw, in some of my old machines that do not take modern needles.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:59 PM

Hi again Gailg - the wax to use on you sewing machine body is CARNAUBA WAX - and should be in your country too. Available at auto supply shops.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:54 AM

Thank you , Wings.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Hi GailG - if you have any probs you are welcome to email me and I will try to help re the restoration:)