Trying to decide which layout to use. >

Trying to decide which layout to use.

Trying to decide which layout to use.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:07 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! that looks great, love it :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-22-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by LoriJ
Originally Posted by ladygen
The cool and warm layout is fabulous. The one before it is great, it has movement, it's pretty, but it only moves toward the lower left. The cool and warm one draws your eye all over! I still like #5 a lot, too. It also has movement, but it's chaotic and looks more scrappy (which I love).

What do YOU like, Lori?
I'm leaning more and more towards the cool and warm. But the problem is, I like them all!!! Guess I'll have to make more than one, won't I? LOL

:lol: :lol:
Thanks for trying the cool and warm, Lori.... now, please don't throw anything...lol., I would probably use the three cools as one and the three warms as one...the rule would then be not to have the same color cool touching and same for warms...am I saying what I'm thinking? The goal would be to space out the individual colors of each temperature and maintaining the diagonal line placement as temperature. Oh...I wish I could just run over and work on this with you...words just seem to make this more difficult than it should be... I'm having fun with the design...just not much with the words. Oh, the whole "rule" thing came from Mary Mashuta....I've got a couple of her books....love her approach to design...needed to give her the credit. Well, are you up to one more tweak? C'mon, grin...you know you want to.... wink!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
Originally Posted by ladygen
The cool and warm layout is fabulous. The one before it is great, it has movement, it's pretty, but it only moves toward the lower left. The cool and warm one draws your eye all over! I still like #5 a lot, too. It also has movement, but it's chaotic and looks more scrappy (which I love).

What do YOU like, Lori?
I'm leaning more and more towards the cool and warm. But the problem is, I like them all!!! Guess I'll have to make more than one, won't I? LOL

:lol: :lol:
Thanks for trying the cool and warm, Lori.... now, please don't throw anything...lol., I would probably use the three cools as one and the three warms as one...the rule would then be not to have the same color cool touching and same for warms...am I saying what I'm thinking? The goal would be to space out the individual colors of each temperature and maintaining the diagonal line placement as temperature. Oh...I wish I could just run over and work on this with you...words just seem to make this more difficult than it should be... I'm having fun with the design...just not much with the words. Oh, the whole "rule" thing came from Mary Mashuta....I've got a couple of her books....love her approach to design...needed to give her the credit. Well, are you up to one more tweak? C'mon, grin...you know you want to.... wink!
Hey, I'm game to try, just don't have a clue what you're getting at... duh. Let's do this, there are 42 squares, let's number them from left to right, top to bottom like this.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
etc...

Give me an idea of what colors you would put in what numbered squares and maybe I'll catch on. :wink:
Old 01-23-2010, 01:28 AM

Lori, your suggested method made me realize that I needed to really work my ideas out to see if they would actually work before I asked you to try anything else. So, I downloaded the photo of your cool and warm and printed it out...I numbered the blocks and cut them into actual blocks and started rearranging them...I have had more than a little bit of fun...And since my hair has been gray for a very long time and the dhubby turns in early and the cats are well aware of my crazy ways...all is well that ends well! LOL The numbers were a great idea, but now that I'm a tad more organized than before, I believe we can go by color easier than by individual block number. Here's the code:
Y=yellow
R=rose
O=orange
P=purple
B=blue
G=green

I'm using your 6 rows of 7 blocks layout...I usually try to use all my made blocks too! wink The orientation of the first block (row 1) is top left corner small light and bottom right corner is large dark... sorry, it just happened that way because I went to another table and didn't have yours in front of me to reference...and then the pattern ends up the same...all the same shapes and intersections will be visible.
Row 1 Y P O G O P Y
Row 2 G R B Y B R B
Row 3 Y P O P O G O
Row 4 B R G R B Y B
Row 5 O P Y P O P R
Row 6 G R B R G Y G

This arrangement is the result of these "rules":
All warms on one diagonal
All cools on other diagonal
The three colors of each temp are interchangeable
Don't let any color touch itself
Don't let any color repeat itself in any 4 block combination
When you check around a tiny light 4 patch, all the colors are diffent from each other but there are 2 cools and 2 warms...same when you check around the big white 4 patch... same when you check around the dark 4 patch... I'm calling those intersections by how they formed...Again, I'm really better with other types (ha!) of communication. It's in my head but unless you can see my hands the words don't make this so clear, I fear.... but this is a good exercise for me... I should try harder and more often, I'm guessin'.
Anyway...try this one, please... I believe in Mashuta's "rules" of design... Again, Lori, your work is fantastic...thanks for sharing...I'm anxious to see how this turns out! Geez, I'm not sure I even know what size these blocks are...and did I miss the plans for border(s), binding, and recipient? ROFL...I don't suppose there's any reason for me to know all that...oops...sorry... some of us get carried away, don't we? wave
Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 AM

Oh Hard choice....but leaning toward #2...nice colors.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:35 AM

I like option #1. Awesome fabric. :-D
Old 01-23-2010, 05:47 AM

Ilove 4 and 5!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:53 AM

That is the best option, make more than one! Cool and warm is a wonderful layout that is unique.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:54 AM

more options. I didn't have room on my design wall to put up all 42 squares.

I'm sure that I can't be of any help....
First I decided that out of 1 and 2..........I liked #2

Went a little further, changed my mind for #3.......NO, decided on #4...........

OMG .........I love #5.

As I said, I can't be of any help..I love them all.

The colors are fantastic.......absolutely beautiful......
Old 01-23-2010, 06:12 AM

I like the one you've labeled "Rainbow".

Sue