Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Twister Christmas quilt

Blog Entries
    Ok I will try again this am to load my latest project. This is a Twister Christmas quilt. Most of the piecing was done on my FW or 301, at home I used my Singer 319 in treadle. I haven't quilted, or bound it yet.

This is a two part quilt. The first part using the 5" squares had to be made into a quilt top. Then I had to cut the whole thing up - row by row - using a Twister ruler. Each row had to be carefully placed in the order it was cut up - sewn together so nothing got out of place to make a second quilt top that has the twister pin wheel look. I am not sure I'd want to do one again - unless it was much smaller. Making a quilt top, cutting it up, re-assembling it is a little crazy!Attachment 365888
    Attachment 365889
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    you did a great job on that quilt. i always love seeing the original layout and how the quilt comes to life with the twister pattern
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Very, very pretty!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Great job. Love it.

Wow, is that cool. Thank you for showing the original sewing. What a difference.
    DEB CAVAN

Wonderful!!! Very Christmas-y!!!!
    Joy of getting older: If I do something stupid,
    I won't remember long enough to stay embarrassed

It came out great! Make sure you keep your scraps. You could make a smaller version using a smaller Twister or Primitive Pinwheel ruler from your scraps.

Blog Entries
    It;s beautiful!!!

Blog Entries
    Wonderful job! You've given me an idea on what to make with all the Christmas fabric I have in my stash.
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

The is very impressive! You have incredible patience!

Lovely quilts and beautiful horse.

Wow! That twister one is way beyond me, but I might manage the first one. I'm thinking small as a wall hanging maybe. What a great way to use small amounts of holiday fabric we accumulate. Thanks for posting; it is lovely.
    Marsha

It was already beautiful when you used the square patches, but when you used the Twister ruler it came alive! With the colors you chose, this one really sparkles! You may choose to never do another, but you sure hit the mark with this one! Gorgeous!
    "It is what it is!"

Wow! what a difference, very cool project!
    Connie

Red meat is not bad for you . . . fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

You can at least have the great satisfaction that all your hard work produced a spectacular result. Love it !!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

It's true that the before and after pictures say it all. I made a twister quilt and was complaining about sewing it together to cut it apart to sew back together.....but to see the finished product.....it is worth all the work. Beautiful quilt.

I have a question. I have not done a twister quilt yet, but would like to do a baby quilt in greens. If i put it together in the 5" squares step in the shape of a shamrock, and then cut it up in the twister step, will it look like a shamrock when I sew it back together? Like your Christmas tree? It would be so cool if it did.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

This is beautiful! Great JOB!

Blog Entries
    OOOOOOH so that is how you do it. I could never figure it out. Thank you for showing both Now I can make something.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

It is wonderful!

Great job on this!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Could you possibly do a tutorial on this? And where do you get the twister tool and instructions? The original is beautiful, but that twister is something else! Oh, and could you possibly lay it out, then cut it, or does it have to be sewn together first? Seems like such a waste of time, thread, and energy. Of course, if you use the original seams, it might make sense--maybe.
    Last edited by GA-Ann; 10-11-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Nice quilt. It sounds like a complicated technique. I imagine you'd have to have a large table to work on it.

What size did you start with and what was ending size? This is so, on to do list.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
    I have a question. I have not done a twister quilt yet, but would like to do a baby quilt in greens. If i put it together in the 5" squares step in the shape of a shamrock, and then cut it up in the twister step, will it look like a shamrock when I sew it back together? Like your Christmas tree? It would be so cool if it did.
    Thanks everyone for your kind words! Now, you all need to go get the Twister ruler (for 10" squares) or the Lil Twister (for 5" squares). Wouldn't it be cool to see how many different quilt tops we could all come up with using the Twister rulers and different ideas!

Yes, you can sew your quilt together using 5" squares in the shape of a shamrock, then cut it apart using the LiL Twister ruler (it is a 3.5" twister ruler) very carefully row by row - you will end up with a Shamrock with the Twister look! The key is that you have to carefully cut the first top you made starting on the top left outside edge, going carefully across the row - laying the twister ruler with the lines lined up at each intersection. You have to line the pieces up exactly as you cut them. Sew each row as you go so none of the pieces get out of sequence - you will see the pin wheels forming - just keep the rows in perfect order!

Remember, the second top is easy as long as you line up the pieces as you cut them - sew the pieces into a row, attach the rows together. The second quilt has to be done piece by piece in sequence to get the fabric to match up.

Oh and to answer the size question, first quilt top was about 65x70. The finished Twister tree measures 47x50 with the border on.

Have fun and please post your projects!

Nancy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast