Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Upcycling clothing into crafts >

Upcycling clothing into crafts

Upcycling clothing into crafts

Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 PM

I love bags for the immediate gratification thing as well. Nice job!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:15 PM

Just curious. How much do you think it cost you to make this? And are you going to sell it or are you keeping it? Its beautiful - I'd have a hard time parting with it.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:33 PM

Great!! How creative. Very very nice.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
Just curious. How much do you think it cost you to make this? And are you going to sell it or are you keeping it? Its beautiful - I'd have a hard time parting with it.
Well, the jacket and pants were just two items out of probably about 50 pieces between the two garbage bags that I filled up for $1 each. And I never pay more than 99 cents for a pattern (I catch them on sale at Hancock Fabrics).
So, less than $3 for a purse I could probably sell for around $15? I try to be VERY reasonable on my pricing, it could probably be higher, but I would rather offer a bargain. I know I like finding them, so why shouldn't my customers? And my workmanship is top knotch, I don't skimp on quality to offer a better price. Might as well not do it, if it's not done right...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 AM

Very cool! You've got great talent and vision. I never would have thought to put things like this together! Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by peggymunday
Originally Posted by Elisabethann
Well, the jacket and pants were just two items out of probably about 50 pieces between the two garbage bags that I filled up for $1 each. And I never pay more than 99 cents for a pattern (I catch them on sale at Hancock Fabrics).
So, less than $3 for a purse I could probably sell for around $15? I try to be VERY reasonable on my pricing, it could probably be higher, but I would rather offer a bargain. I know I like finding them, so why shouldn't my customers? And my workmanship is top knotch, I don't skimp on quality to offer a better price. Might as well not do it, if it's not done right...
Wow - fill the bag for $1! :-o I could never do that around here. We pay by the item and they are usually $3-7 depending on the item. Good for you. The bag looks great :) And I think you are right - you could probably charge more!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 AM

Very Creative. Your purse looks wonderful.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 AM

great bag!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by peggymunday
Here's a construction question for you. How does that old satin lining hold up? It seems to me that the jacket linings are? lightweight lining material, not true satin. So is it really sturdy enough to hold up to a purses' purpose? Lots of stuff - pens, change, pill bottles, little sissors, eyeglasses, billfolds, checkbooks, note papers, receipts, etc.... all jammed in it, and rummaged through a lot? There must be a certain type of old lining that is usable and some that is not. Or do you double it up or fuse it to stabalizer before sewing it into the purse?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Very nice