Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: valance x2 done!

dear all,
    I just finished 2 of these valances. I am so excited to finally be able to start something new! (I'm one of "those" type A people who finishe one project before starting another--egads, I need help!!)

Rose Hall
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Well, it looks like you did a great job on these! So....whats your next project??

Blog Entries

That valance is so cool! Where are you going to use it?

Very nice indeed! Are the valances going in your room? So what's the project you have in mind?

Banned
    very pretty

Rose, you silly-billy! you don't need to 'get' help...you need to 'give' help. Finishing a project is what we all ruminate over, you've got it down. like your valances. SIL, loves bears, don't let him see them! :wink:

Yes i agree finsihing a project before starting another one is GREAT if I could do that I would have a mess in my dining room. hahahha

Well, there is a story behind those valances.

Two years ago when my son was born, a teacher I worked with loaned me a "pack n play"--a portable play pen/baby bed.

I have used it at my mother's house for almost 2 years with no problems. I was able to keep it in pristine condition like when I received it.

The DAY before I was to take it back to school to give it to her, my husband ran over it with the SUV. ugh. The pack n play itself was not damaged, but the cover that it is stored in was ruined.

I went to her with 3 options:
    1. I could make her a new cover (what I preferred);
    2. I could buy her a new pack n play;
    3. I could pay her what a new one would cost.

she chose option 4--could you make these curtains for my grandson's room? I said sure---just because I felt HORRIBLE about the damage I had done.

whew! I will never use anything on "loan" again!!!

as for my next project---
    I am going to ask hubby for mother's day/anniversary gift for these new die cuts so I can make a choo choo train for my son (and also use in my business)

http://www.accucut.com/Train_Setbr5D...67-path0.html?

as well as the tracks to go along with it:

http://www.accucut.com/BorderRailroa...16-path0.html?

He is into Thomas the Train and Elmo right now. I can't find an Elmo die cut (probably a copyright issue), so I'll stick with trains.

Rose Hall

You did a great job on the valance!! And, yes, tell hubby I said you've earned the both new die sets (especially since he caused all the valance work to start with...) :wink:

Blog Entries
    sorry about the SUV and the "pack n play" accident, isn't that always the way :(
    However the curtains turned out real cute and bet the lady is tickled pink. Great job....on your part, not your husbands part :wink:

Blog Entries
    Very nice.

Oh Rose, that is beautiful and I wish I was like you and finished before starting another! I see a block that I haven't made and I have to try it. :oops: My goal this year is to finish at least 2 of my UFOs.

very pretty.....

Wait... a valance is a curtain??

Over here a valance is like a skirt that covers the legs of the bed (it goes over the base under the mattress and has frilly bits that hang down just touching the floor).

It wasn't till the end of the thread that I realised I was thinking of something different to what you were talking about, but thank you anyway! LOL You've given me a marvelous idea. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    Wait... a valance is a curtain??

Over here a valance is like a skirt that covers the legs of the bed (it goes over the base under the mattress and has frilly bits that hang down just touching the floor).

It wasn't till the end of the thread that I realised I was thinking of something different to what you were talking about, but thank you anyway! LOL You've given me a marvelous idea. :-)
    Your valance is our dust ruffle.

I love hearing about differences in countries, language and cultures...I think it's so cool!

Dust ruffle! LOL That sounds hilarious.

I'm making a quilt for our bed, and have been wondering about where I'll be able to get a valance / dust ruffle to compliment it. It never occurred to me to make one! LOL

Dust ruffle! LOL That sounds hilarious.

I'm making a quilt for our bed, and have been wondering about where I'll be able to get a valance / dust ruffle to compliment it. It never occurred to me to make one! LOL
    I think here in the US we call it a dust ruffle because it 1. Prevents the dust bunnies from getting under the bed and 2. hides them when they do! LOL

[quote=molly4503]
    I love hearing about differences in countries, language and cultures...I think it's so cool!
    Then you would love the Japanese students I had. I told one we were going to eat Tacos and she looked HORRIFIED and said no way she was not eating Taco. I pulled out the conversion book and found I had just told her we were going to eat squid!!!!! LOL

Blog Entries
    Those are the cutest valances!!! Good Job!!! :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Quote Originally Posted by molly4503
    Then you would love the Japanese students I had. I told one we were going to eat Tacos and she looked HORRIFIED and said no way she was not eating Taco. I pulled out the conversion book and found I had just told her we were going to eat squid!!!!! LOL
    Squid?!? LOL
    We had an American exchange student many years ago, she went for a nap to get over the jet lag and we told her we would wake her for tea. She went to sleep wondering if she would really have to get up to drink a cup of tea. Over here, we call "dinner" tea. ;-)