Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A Very Early Sewing machine >

A Very Early Sewing machine

A Very Early Sewing machine

Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 AM

Saw this in a museum in Apache Junction, Arizona this week.

pardon the picture - the machine was behind glass. Very cool!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127773.jpe  
Old 02-24-2011, 03:32 AM

Wouldn't you just love to have one of them?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 AM

I do!! Wilcox and Gibbs. Mine is a hand-crank. My Dh bought it for me several years ago. I haven't used it much but it does sew well.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Have one my dad got a long time ago, just for display. Never tried to see if I could get it to work.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 AM

Very interesting! I have never saw one like that before.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM

That's a chain stitch machine. I have been to Apache Junkion as my parents used to live there, but they moved to Queen Creek Az and they are up here now spending the Winter here for a change, but they may not be going back to AZ any time soon. They both had back surgery and Mom will have her shoulder surgery done in a couple of months and they are both going down hill in the way of memory loss and such. How sad. but any way I think I know what museium you are talking about. There is a tiny little town there like an old western town in the cow boy moivies and the like. I remember there is a little place where you can get a bite to eat and the stools at the bar area were like saddlesand horse's tails. This was on the Apache Trail i belive. It was a lot of fun there. Huggies, Fay P.S. they have a machine just like that one at our Sew & Vac store on display.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 AM

It is really an interesting sewig machine! I have read books about how women would go together to purchase a machine and each would have it for a week then move on to the next woman who would have been saving up sewing projects (shirts, pants, dresses) to get done when they had the machine. Isn't it interesting that we use sewing machines so much for pleasure of making quilts?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM

There are numerous quilters at the Vintage Machine Shop chatting about their vintage finds and getting the machines cleaned up to sew and quilt with. You may have fun looking at the photos of the parade of machines. Just be careful, it is addictive. :)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-731.htm
Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbinchick
That's a chain stitch machine. I have been to Apache Junkion as my parents used to live there, but they moved to Queen Creek Az and they are up here now spending the Winter here for a change, but they may not be going back to AZ any time soon. They both had back surgery and Mom will have her shoulder surgery done in a couple of months and they are both going down hill in the way of memory loss and such. How sad. but any way I think I know what museium you are talking about. There is a tiny little town there like an old western town in the cow boy moivies and the like. I remember there is a little place where you can get a bite to eat and the stools at the bar area were like saddlesand horse's tails. This was on the Apache Trail i belive. It was a lot of fun there. Huggies, Fay P.S. they have a machine just like that one at our Sew & Vac store on display.
Yep, you are remembering it perfectly. It is a beautiful place, that is for sure. What a rugged country-side.