Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Vintage Blocks Sashed

  1. #1
    Super Member yolanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,255
    I love these blocks! I found a sashing in my stash - it's Ikat Woven Streak by Kaffe and I was saving it for a skirt but I think it's perfect for these blocks. I was told since the blocks are vintage and some of the fabric is somewhat fragil that I should not quilt a lot on them. Does anyone know about this? The cotton seems ok but the feedsack neutral is a little loosely woven (I think)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,473
    Pretty!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jenni M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth, Ohio
    Posts
    807
    Great pattern and colors! Love it.

    Jenni

  4. #4
    Super Member yolanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,255
    Thank you! I actually didn't make the blocks. I got them on ebay a very long time ago. The lady was selling fabric and blocks she got at a Menninite (spelling?) auction in Kentucky. I have 3 blocks left ... one is stained. I'd be happy to pass them along to anyone wanting them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni M
    Great pattern and colors! Love it.

    Jenni

  5. #5
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    You did a wonderful job with those blocks!! They look vintage.
    NICE!!!!!!! :D

  6. #6
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    DUH- you had VINTAGE in the heading!!
    It's Monday hahah

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    485
    Looks like it was meant to be. What a nice combination. Very pretty. Love it when a plan comes together that really wasn't a plan at all.

  8. #8
    Super Member Ditter43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crystal River Florida
    Posts
    9,771
    I am laughing because I misread the title. I thought it said slashed!!! The color you chose for the sashing is perfect! Be sure to show us the finished quilt!! :-D :thumbup:

  9. #9
    bj
    bj is offline
    Super Member bj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,562
    Very nice. You did a good job with your vintage blocks.

  10. #10
    Super Member yolanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,255
    Thank you everyone :-)

  11. #11
    Super Member yolanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,255
    Someone PM's me for the spare blocks.

    Quote Originally Posted by yolanda
    Thank you! I actually didn't make the blocks. I got them on ebay a very long time ago. The lady was selling fabric and blocks she got at a Menninite (spelling?) auction in Kentucky. I have 3 blocks left ... one is stained. I'd be happy to pass them along to anyone wanting them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni M
    Great pattern and colors! Love it.

    Jenni

  12. #12
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,699
    You found the perfect match for these beautiful blocks.
    Do you (or anyone) know the name of this block?

  13. #13
    Super Member yolanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,255
    I do not know it - good question though because I would like to. It's a great looking block.

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    You found the perfect match for these beautiful blocks.
    Do you (or anyone) know the name of this block?

  14. #14
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,699
    I believe it's weathervane.

  15. #15
    Super Member yolanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,255
    I think your right! Nice job finding it.

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    I believe it's weathervane.

  16. #16
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    It's beautiful! I just love vintage!! The block reminds me of the Weathervane pattern. If you don't find any takers, I'd love the vintage blocks. I have some I could join together with along with feedsack. :D :D

  17. #17
    Super Member yolanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,255
    Ah .. someone already took them. :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
    It's beautiful! I just love vintage!! The block reminds me of the Weathervane pattern. If you don't find any takers, I'd love the vintage blocks. I have some I could join together with along with feedsack. :D :D

  18. #18
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,785
    Blog Entries
    2
    i bought some old blocks and put some fusible interfacing on the backs of them. it stays in and gives stability too.

  19. #19
    Super Member bjnicholson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    i bought some old blocks and put some fusible interfacing on the backs of them. it stays in and gives stability too.
    That sounds like a good idea. It would help support the fabric without taking away from it.

  20. #20
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by yolanda
    Ah .. someone already took them. :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
    It's beautiful! I just love vintage!! The block reminds me of the Weathervane pattern. If you don't find any takers, I'd love the vintage blocks. I have some I could join together with along with feedsack. :D :D
    It's ok. I only wanted them if no one else did. I'm glad they found a new home! Bless you for your generosity!

    :-D :-D

  21. #21
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    i bought some old blocks and put some fusible interfacing on the backs of them. it stays in and gives stability too.
    Thank you for that great idea! I'll use that one! :-D :-D

  22. #22
    Super Member skydiver70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,479
    pretty and set together well!

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    200
    I cant help with your question, just wanted to say its beautiful!

  24. #24
    Super Member yolanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,255
    I am going to back this with a solid kona cotton- the same color as the block sashing. Any suggestions for binding fabric?

  25. #25
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,699
    I'd go with a solid red or black and I would wash the fabric first to make sure there is no bleeding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.