Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Vintage Sewing machine

Red face Vintage Sewing machine

I belong to a group of girls that have been sewing together for about 15 years, and every year we get together and have a Christmas party and make each of us a handmade gift. This year I thought I was going to save a little time by embroidering them, but 28 spools of thread later- I realized I was in a bit over my head lol! What I did discover
    after reordering thread several times and having to use my stash in between, was that the expensive brands I had at home were not the best at all. Not wanting to bash anyone, I will instead say that I used the thread the designer (OESD) recommended which is Isacord. It was the only thread that did not break, shred,or leave lint. It is very inexpensive and I will continue to buy it for my quilting machine as well as embroidering! Leah Day also endorses this brand.

The pictures are a little dark- I felt like I was giving up my children when I was wrapping them last night! Everyone loved them today!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    WOW
    I would love one of those!

Blog Entries
    Wow, they are stunning! All I can say is how on earth did you make they? As a vintage sewing machine lover, I absolutely love them!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Power Poster
    Wow, those are amazing!

Those are truly amazing, but I sure wouldn't have thought I'd make them to save time. LOL Are they your design, if not, where did you get the pattern?

Those are adorable!

Are they tree ornaments? I can imagine the thread and the hooping involved. Glad you found a thread that worked for the design.

Oh My Goodness those are so cute. You sound like me I get these ideas in December and then drive myself crazy trying to get them all done.

Wow! Those are awesome. That takes handmade gift to a new level. Good job.

Blog Entries
    wow, they are beautiful!! and so many pieces too. great job
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Beautiful, great work on them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Awesome. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

very nice....
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Tipping my hat to you.....as beautiful as they are....to repeat it NINE TIMES takes a lot of determination!! Well done!!

They are adorable, but can relate to the work involved. Why do we do things like that to ourselves? LOL I'm sure the recipients loved them and the work will be forgotten on the givers part, ha, ha.

AWESOME, are they stuffed? How long did it take to make each one? I'm beyond impressed!

PS I hope you made one for yourself as well !!

They are darling! Glad to hear about Isacord. I remember Leah Day talking about it in one of her tutes. Thanks for the reminder. I'm learning FMQ and need all the help I can get!

I have been using Isacord for years! It is my favorite thread and luckily we have a local quilt store that stocks all the colors--they take up one wall, almost floor to ceiling!
    Regina in Richmond, KY

Blog Entries
    Outstanding---those are amazing !

Super Vintage Sewing Machines.
    Carol

Lost my other email to you..There is a group of gals that sew on their vintage machines at Stone Soup Batiks and that would be a great gift for them! Can you share where you purchased the design! Kudos to you for sticking with it!

Wink Where to buy the design

Quote Originally Posted by ladysuds View Post
    Lost my other email to you..There is a group of gals that sew on their vintage machines at Stone Soup Batiks and that would be a great gift for them! Can you share where you purchased the design! Kudos to you for sticking with it!
    The deign is made by OESD, or Embroidery online. They are freestanding lace, so they don't need so be stuffed- the stabilizer that remains in the pieces is enough to support them so they stand up. I do recommend buying the alligator clamps they sell to assemble them with. One of the other girls showed them to me at the party, and I ordered them the day after to make mine with. It will be worth it! The string light make a better effect more than the tea lights do also. They have them on the web site, too.

Thank you for all your kind comments. It's been quite a few years since I have embroidered a lot, and this has really inspired me to get back on the band wagon! I have already planned a Christmas quilt for next year. I have been struggling with a serious obsession of wanting a HQ Avante, and can't figure where I can put it or how to pay for it, so maybe I can distract myself for a while. Oh right...who am I kidding lol!!!

I don't own an embroidery machine so I just wanted to know how big are they? I really can't tell by the picture. If it's something free standing I would love it. They are awesome!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Love your Vintage Sewing Machines. Great Job

According to the website, they are 8Lx4x5.5H. Really adorable!