Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: walker bag for Veterns

  1. #1
    Super Member bluteddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,140
    Here are a few walker bags, I have been making for the local Veterns in our Nursing home/VA Hospital Nursing Unit.

    a few of the completed walker bags
    Name:  Attachment-154286.jpe
Views: 129
Size:  36.7 KB

    open flat, bags will fold over the top rail of the walker.Giving one large pocket on one side, and two small pockes on the front side.
    Name:  Attachment-154798.jpe
Views: 109
Size:  26.5 KB

  2. #2
    Cyn
    Cyn is offline
    Super Member Cyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville NC
    Posts
    6,761
    Blog Entries
    17
    That is the sweetest thing!

  3. #3
    Super Member pab58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    near Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    5,868
    Blog Entries
    1
    Those are fantastic!! Is this your own design, or is it from a pattern? :wink:

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,247
    Thank you for remembering these wonderful veterans. They are the forgotten ones. We can never give enough to the VETERANS of our country.

  5. #5
    Super Member moonwork42029's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Possum Trot, KY
    Posts
    4,043
    Looks maybe like a "tutorial" could be in the making for this item. I wouldn't mind making some to give to our local Vet's home.

    My mom had made some using old pairs of jeans somehow ... I wonder if she'd remember...thanks for reminding me of them too.

  6. #6
    Super Member bluteddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,140
    I downloaded a pattern and then modified it to my liking. It is very easy. Basic patter calls for just cut one 24x13 inch retangle and two 13x8inch ( for the pockets). the pattern called for velcro, but that stuff is nasty after a while.So, I opted to use heavy no sew snaps. Because my fabric was lightwt, I decided to quilt the pocket to bulk it up. I also doubled the 24x13 to give it two layers. Added the machine emb to brighten it up.

    The patter does call for using " sturdy fabric" such as upholstery, denim or corduroy. But I used what I had. Thats why I opted to semi quilt the pockets.

  7. #7
    Super Member bluteddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029
    Looks maybe like a "tutorial" could be in the making for this item. I wouldn't mind making some to give to our local Vet's home.

    My mom had made some using old pairs of jeans somehow ... I wonder if she'd remember...thanks for reminding me of them too.
    hmmm I"m not to sure about thsi tutorial ... I tend to ramble and chatter.....I'd be happy to help anyone with the pattern, that is interested. I thought the printout had the web address on it, that I got the basic pattern from, but it didn't, and of course now I can't find that sight.. I'll keep searching tho...

  8. #8
    Super Member Latrinka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    6,946
    Great idea! They will love them, I'm a nurse and work in a nsg home, and they love stuff like this to keep their goodies in!

  9. #9
    Super Member bluteddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,140
    I"m a retired nurse as well, so many bag patterns were so big , I felt they were a danger of tipping over the walker...

  10. #10
    Junior Member beautress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    rural Walker County Texas
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by bluteddi
    I downloaded a pattern and then modified it to my liking. It is very easy. Basic patter calls for just cut one 24x13 inch retangle and two 13x8inch ( for the pockets). the pattern called for velcro, but that stuff is nasty after a while.So, I opted to use heavy no sew snaps. Because my fabric was lightwt, I decided to quilt the pocket to bulk it up. I also doubled the 24x13 to give it two layers. Added the machine emb to brighten it up.

    The patter does call for using " sturdy fabric" such as upholstery, denim or corduroy. But I used what I had. Thats why I opted to semi quilt the pockets.
    Thanks, bluteddi. I'm bookmarking this page and am coming back to make one for my MIL who has to use walkers now, and will try to make a couple for my friend whose group sews for the nearest VA Hospital.

    You're a super trooper, and thanks for posting your fantastic gift to someone whose spirits will be lifted when they receive it.

    (((( ~ HUGE HUG ~ ))))

  11. #11
    Super Member bluteddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,140
    I might add, all the emb designes are some I downloaded FREE!

  12. #12
    Super Member bluteddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,140
    I found it!!!!

    here is the link, to the original pattern, and then I modified it.

    I used walker bag # 5

    http://quiltinglibrary.blogspot.com/...o-made_05.html

  13. #13
    pookie ookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Trifid Nebula
    Posts
    1,305
    Well done. Thank you for making them.

  14. #14
    Super Member bluteddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,140
    ok,,, I posted a tutorial..... hope its clearer than mud!

    PM me if u need help or have questions.

  15. #15
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,891
    very nice bags and nice of you to do it

  16. #16
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,341
    What a special thing to do for your hero's!! I love this idea and if ok would love to make some for the VA home we visit! Thank you for sharing this!

  17. #17
    Super Member bluteddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    What a special thing to do for your hero's!! I love this idea and if ok would love to make some for the VA home we visit! Thank you for sharing this!
    I would be thrilled if others used " my modified" pattern.
    These truely are out HEROS!. I posted a tutorial. However, I guess because I u used a link to the originial pattern that I used and then modified, Admin more the tutorial over to the " links and resources" section.

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87996-1.htm


    I'm happy ot help if u have questions on making this walker bag.

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    these are beautiful - I'm bookmarking the page too.

  19. #19
    Super Member AngieS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    3,255
    Very nice! What a sweet thing for you to do. :thumbup:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.