Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Wall Hanging 50th >

Wall Hanging 50th

Wall Hanging 50th

Old 12-31-2023, 07:06 AM

Default Wall Hanging 50th

Hello Quilters! I made a quilt for our 50th anniversary 5 years ago. I’m just now actually using it. I have this ugly long breaker box in my bedroom that I keep wall hangings on to hide it. I decided to make a wall hanging to match our 50 th anniversary quilt and also add the names of ones born or adopted since 2018. I have blank white snowballs to add more as the family grows. My quilt is like a family tree. Each block has info starting with our grandparents, parents, us, our siblings, our children, grandchildren, greats. I had some white blocks left so I added info about significant happenings in our lives over the years. You can see the quilt in my Queen Quilts album here on the board or this link might get you there. I tried to blurry the pic some because it has all our names, dates, etc.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...07-622246.html
Attached Thumbnails img_1346.jpeg   img_1363.jpeg  
Old 12-31-2023, 07:28 AM

that is a cute idea and have fun filling names in!!
Old 12-31-2023, 09:10 AM

Lovely idea and perfect for that spot. Love your posts, too.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:51 AM

What a great idea! You're so talented and clever.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

That's the perfect way to disguise the breaker box!
I love your posts, too.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Great idea ! Love your posts
Old 01-01-2024, 03:54 AM

Having a quilt as a family tree is a wonderful heirloom for your family. ...and now your wall hanging to add to your family history.
You are so clever toogie! Thanks for sharing your works of art. (heart) with us to admire. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2024, 04:39 AM

What a great idea! You just added to my quilty list:-)
Old 01-01-2024, 04:58 AM

Smile The wallhanging

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
Hello Quilters! I made a quilt for our 50th anniversary 5 years ago. I’m just now actually using it. I have this ugly long breaker box in my bedroom that I keep wall hangings on to hide it. I decided to make a wall hanging to match our 50 th anniversary quilt and also add the names of ones born or adopted since 2018. I have blank white snowballs to add more as the family grows. My quilt is like a family tree. Each block has info starting with our grandparents, parents, us, our siblings, our children, grandchildren, greats. I had some white blocks left so I added info about significant happenings in our lives over the years. You can see the quilt in my Queen Quilts album here on the board or this link might get you there. I tried to blurry the pic some because it has all our names, dates, etc.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...07-622246.html
What a beautiful wallhanging toogie! That's a wonderful idea. I really like it and what a great way to keep track of family history. Well done...even if it did take 5 years... Looks great!
Old 01-01-2024, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by "cat"astrophy View Post
What a beautiful wallhanging toogie! That's a wonderful idea. I really like it and what a great way to keep track of family history. Well done...even if it did take 5 years... Looks great!
The quilt took me about 2 months as I recall and it’s quilted by hand. I worked every spare time I had. I had friends that hand quilt come over one day to get it started, then hubby and I finished up. I wanted to keep the quilt a surprise to him, but he kept coming in my sewing room while I was embroidering, so I just gave up and put him to work, when it was time to quilt-lol -the embroidery is machine embroidery and that’s what took the most time. Making the designs in my program for each block, with names and dates, then stitching them.
I had never started using it, so now 5 years later I finally have it on my bed. I had a wall hanging that didn’t work with the anniversary quilt, so I decided to add the children born after our 50th, that were not born before 2018, on the quilt and make a wall hanging to match. Our 50th was in 2018. We married in 1968. So we had 3 great grandchildren born and we ‘unofficially’ adopted Eva our granddaughter from Spain. You may remember Eva’s quilt I posted in a thread here when she graduated high school last year. Anyway, she has come back to attend college here. She was a foreign exchange student that my daughter had last year. She fit in well with us and us with her. So now she is family. She flew back to Spain for Christmas break to be with her family so I text her after I finished the wall hanging. She says, “Oh Grammmm!” She was glad to be included bc she loves the quilt.
Oh and the wall hanging took me 2 days. The five years was the length of time it took me to decide to use it.-lol what was I saving it for! We sound like our parents before us when they stored things away. Geez, we sound old!