Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 281

Thread: WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY THIS ON YOUR QUILT!!!! I BLEW IT!!!

  1. #1
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    I was brave. I told myself these ink marks will come out with hair spray. Yes, I really badly wanted to mark my quilt with an ink pen for precise quilting! It soaked for 2 days in ammonia, scrubbed with tooth brushes endlessly and sprayed with the cheapest grade of hair spray (that works the best) and still there are INK PEN MARKS ON MY QUILT!!! yikes. :oops: I've scrubbed with everything and think I have actually set the ink in for good. :? :oops: I'll wash it 100 times and it'll be gone! ;) :cry:

    mock Baptist Fans with ink marks
    Name:  Attachment-113276.jpe
Views: 153
Size:  57.8 KB

    in this corner, there's still ink around the olympic circles
    Name:  Attachment-113277.jpe
Views: 152
Size:  57.5 KB

    here's the whole quilt
    Name:  Attachment-113278.jpe
Views: 164
Size:  70.8 KB

    did stippling here (no marking this one first)
    Name:  Attachment-113280.jpe
Views: 164
Size:  64.3 KB

    did pebble quilting by hand -- needs lots more work -- much harder by hand
    Name:  Attachment-113281.jpe
Views: 162
Size:  59.1 KB

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,839
    Blog Entries
    1
    oh man! why an ink pen? back in the day, didn't they use pencils? i use chalk or a disappearing pen.
    washable crayloa markers have been used with great success.
    so sorry this happened to your quilt... :cry:

  3. #3
    stitchesnstaples's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bismarck North Dakota
    Posts
    165
    How sad, your quilt is to cute. I have no ideas of how to get it out.:-(

  4. #4
    Super Member hobo2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boonsboro, MD
    Posts
    2,724
    Blog Entries
    1
    If it wasn't marked "permanent" there is a product in the drug store that takes ink out of mens fine linen shirts. It works really well. Its in the area where you find "Goop" and those products.

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,839
    Blog Entries
    1

  6. #6
    Senior Member Pat M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    642
    Have you tried GooGone? Can't hurt, try just a little on the ink.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,246
    Rub rubbing alcohol. So sorry about the boo-boo.

  8. #8
    Super Member finch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    in hiding
    Posts
    1,362
    I used the chalk on a purse pattern and it would not come out,no matter what I did. That was a lesson learned for me,so I know how you must feel. So sorry about your quilt. It is still very pretty.

  9. #9
    Super Member Ditter43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crystal River Florida
    Posts
    9,771
    If it won't come out, quilt over it with black or dark blue thread.....Bummer!! :|

  10. #10
    Super Member GrammaNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,935
    Hairspray should have worked. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. You may have helped others from doing the same thing. I think the quilt is beautiful and will be wonderful conversation piece.

  11. #11
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    oh man! why an ink pen? back in the day, didn't they use pencils? i use chalk or a disappearing pen.
    washable crayloa markers have been used with great success.
    so sorry this happened to your quilt... :cry:
    I can't stand what they have on the market! None of it is for fine lines like I love. Do they make water soluble pens? If so, they probably are not fine line enough for me. I've always gotten the ink out before with hair spray.

    :oops: :oops:

  12. #12
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    I am soooo sorry!

  13. #13
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    If it wasn't marked "permanent" there is a product in the drug store that takes ink out of mens fine linen shirts. It works really well. Its in the area where you find "Goop" and those products.
    ok, I'll try that. Thanks!

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Deltaville, VA
    Posts
    116
    Try something called De-Sol-it. I purchase it at Wal-Mart and it took red ink out of my black & white quilt. It has also taken motor oil out of my husbands shirt that had been washed and dried several times.

  15. #15
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by sewgull
    Rub rubbing alcohol. So sorry about the boo-boo.
    oh, thank you, sewgulll! I'll try that. I'll try mayo, lemonade, murphy's oil soap, etc.

    :D

  16. #16
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    13,232
    Hope you can get it out with all the suggestions. Let us know which one works.

  17. #17
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    28,394
    Ink pens work best for me on wrong side of dark pieces. I used some on the quilt I am quilting and finishing up now. Some of the ink got on some of the white, I intend on using hair spray and shout.
    Dittter has a good idea, use dark thread to quilt over it.

  18. #18
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    Thank you for that link, watterstide! They listed hair spray first and then the rubbing alcohol that sewgull suggested. I'll try that next!! Knew that the vinegar would eat at the fabrics so stayed away from that. It'll work with the rubb.alco.

    :D

  19. #19
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mauer
    Have you tried GooGone? Can't hurt, try just a little on the ink.
    No, but GooGone is good stuff! It's oil based and removes labels great but don't know about on fabs. will try anyway. Thanks!

    :D

  20. #20
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by SueDor
    Hope you can get it out with all the suggestions. Let us know which one works.
    sure will! There's always something to try that'll work!! :-D

  21. #21
    Super Member n2scraplvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Foot of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in VA
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingleberry
    Ink pens work best for me on wrong side of dark pieces. I used some on the quilt I am quilting and finishing up now. Some of the ink got on some of the white, I intend on using hair spray and shout.
    Dittter has a good idea, use dark thread to quilt over it.
    Oh, I like that idea w/the dark thread over it. that'll work too!! Thanks so much, Jingleberry. I was heartsick.

    :roll: :roll:

  22. #22
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,426
    Good reminder - thank you for showing us - I am sorry that you are having trouble removing the ink -

  23. #23
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,172
    Blog Entries
    1
    no matter what you use always test a small corner to make sure, sometimes what came out just fine on this project would not come out of that one...always test before using anything; i had one of those blue disappear with water pens that disappeared just fine from the quilt top but stained the back...
    since you are quilting with a dark thread it kind of blends in ok...but so sorry this happened.

  24. #24
    Super Member sewmuchmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,996
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mauer
    Have you tried GooGone? Can't hurt, try just a little on the ink.
    No, but GooGone is good stuff! It's oil based and removes labels great but don't know about on fabs. will try anyway. Thanks!

    :D
    I have use it on fabric and It work wonderful. It also took out of ink a shirt.

  25. #25
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    oh man! why an ink pen? back in the day, didn't they use pencils? i use chalk or a disappearing pen.
    washable crayloa markers have been used with great success.
    so sorry this happened to your quilt... :cry:
    I can't stand what they have on the market! None of it is for fine lines like I love. Do they make water soluble pens? If so, they probably are not fine line enough for me. I've always gotten the ink out before with hair spray.

    :oops: :oops:
    There are fine line water soluable and air soluable pens. They are purple (air soluable) and blue (water soluable)--just like the regular ones just fine point. They are no wider than a regular pen.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.