Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What a difference this made🥰 >

What a difference this made🥰

What a difference this made🥰

Old 02-14-2022, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I change my blade at first skip. I don't save old blades. I toss in trash bin after sandwiching the blade in wide masking tape .I don't see the sense of storing old blades waiting to throw away.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

One of my worst habits is not changing blades often enough. When I do I just shake my head at my stupidity. A new blade is so nice!
I put old ones in the containers they come in and write used or else I'd get mixed up, or I wrap them up in tape and toss.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:07 AM

I too put them in a case that new blades came in once I have an empty case until that time I have put them in a sharps container for my injectable meds. Nothing has been said about this as they certainly are sharp.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:26 AM

I'm with you, a sharp blade always feels so luxurious it makes me wonder why I didn't change it sooner.

I store old blades and pins in an empty tea tin. When it's full I take it to the drug store for the sharps container, although the pharmacist wouldn't handle my last batch so I just might find a container in a public bathroom and use it.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:29 PM

I put masking tape on the blades front and back for and throw them in the trash. They are never handled by people again.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

I put my old used blades back in container they come in and mark OLD. I use them to trim quilts after quilting and before putting binding on. I was amazed at how long the were sharp. I have a large pill bottle. When too dull to use for anything I throw them in trash

Old machine needles and bent straight pins go into a smaller pill bottle and tossed in the trash.

Our trash hauler doesn't care.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I sharpen them. When they can no longer be sharpened, they get put in an old parmesan cheese container- I've yet to fill it.

Rob
What do you sharpen them with? I’ve sharpened knives with a whetstone and I have a device for scissors, but not rotary blades. Does it work well?
Old 02-17-2022, 06:40 AM

Sally, that is what i do also!!!
Old 02-17-2022, 01:32 PM

Default use of used blades.

I use my old blades for outside projects. They are perfect for cutting plastics, landscrape fabric and fiberglass window screening. Tinker
Old 09-18-2022, 08:36 PM

I also put my old blades in an old pill bottle just for safety. I sharpen my blades with a rotary blade sharpener from Tri-sharp, with limited success. I hear from other quilters that have the electric sharpener that it's not much better. Easypeasy I drilled hole in scrap block of wood to fit my seam ripper in and cut my chained-pieced blocks apart that way, it works really fast and it's cheap.