Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What do you think this is worth???  Need help! >

What do you think this is worth??? Need help!

What do you think this is worth??? Need help!

Old 01-30-2010, 03:15 AM
Banned

I don't know what its worth but I would try Ebay. If you list it please post the link here.....some of us might want to bid on it. ;)
Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
that color combination and that type of floral design were popular in the 60's.
there was a catalog company called herschner's, i think, that sold the tops, stamped for embroidery. for ll i know, they are still in business. they also sold stamped tablecloths. this could have been intended as either one. you'll know when you measure.

in any event, it's a beauty. it's magic that it survived so well for so long. do you think you could make as much or more by selling raffle tickets for it in your community on your own?
if you decide to sell it on ebay, predetermine a bottom price so you don't get stung.
Butter, do you remember 'Lee Wards,' out of Wisconsin, they had a catalog also.
Marie, thumbs-up for your Mom, because that is just theft the way I view it. Trying to get beauty for nothing. That is true artwork.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:07 AM

It is a very nice quilt I would love to have it. My first question is the embordiay hand made? who made the quilt? I would say it may worth 250.00 or so not sure. With ecomony being what it is you might do better to either auction if off or put it on ebay or maybe do a raffle.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:14 AM

i agree with the others, either put it on ebay or do a raffle! it is worth at least 500.00! all that handwork!! whatever you decide to do with it i hope it makes lots of money for your charities!!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:14 AM

What you could have done,instead of ebay,was have araffle for the food pantry rent. They did that recently for heating costs at a local center,with great success.No ebay fees!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the raffle. My motorcycle club does a T-shirt quilt raffle every year. I used to make them but time no longer permits. Anyway, on average, we usually sell close to $1000 in raffle tickets every year. We start the raffle as soon as the quilt is done and we can display it, usually late to mid spring. We draw the winner at Christmas time. You could set the drawing date for this quilt at Christmas and have almost a full year to sell tickets. The key is exposure. The idea of displaying at a library and taking it to different venues in the community will only garner more exposure for more ticket sales. You have the added incentive of the raffle benefitting a great charitable cause. Many people will buy a $1 raffle ticket not because they want the quilt but because they want to support the charity. I think you can get a lot more money raffling this beautiful cross-stiched quilt then trying to sell it on e-bay, etsy or Craig's list.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I agree with the raffle. My motorcycle club does a T-shirt quilt raffle every year. I used to make them but time no longer permits. Anyway, on average, we usually sell close to $1000 in raffle tickets every year. We start the raffle as soon as the quilt is done and we can display it, usually late to mid spring. We draw the winner at Christmas time. You could set the drawing date for this quilt at Christmas and have almost a full year to sell tickets. The key is exposure. The idea of displaying at a library and taking it to different venues in the community will only garner more exposure for more ticket sales. You have the added incentive of the raffle benefitting a great charitable cause. Many people will buy a $1 raffle ticket not because they want the quilt but because they want to support the charity. I think you can get a lot more money raffling this beautiful cross-stiched quilt then trying to sell it on e-bay, etsy or Craig's list.

I completely agree. I think you could earn at least $1000 for it when it's all said and done. The secret would be to take your time selling tickets and to have the drawing at the end of the year. Most people will buy a ticket on the off chance that they'll win and don't really care when the drawing will be. Good luck with this beautiful quilt!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:43 AM

If I made something like that it would be prieceless. :thumbup:
Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Here is another picture of the quilt.
This is stunning, $5 was such an insult! I guess being at that type of store people don't understand. I'm so glad you rescued it. Let us know what happens, please.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:53 AM

It is gorgouse and I would do a raffle on it. I'll by a ticket. I think it's worth a lot and you can make more than $500.00 with a raffle. Let us know what your mom decides to do. I've seen them put up quilts for raffle in these stores before and they make a lot of money on them. To bad you don't know the history of the quilt. Is there a lable on it? Cookie