Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
what I did over the summer! >

what I did over the summer!

what I did over the summer!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Your son is adorable :lol: The quilts are great ! Did you appligue all the lil feet and other decorations on the rag quilts ? Was that flannel or fleece ?
Sharon
Hi Sharon,

All the applique was done by hand with a blanket stich. My son is at the age where he wants to "help Momma" when I am at the sewing machine. After he accidentally put his finger on the belt of my sewing machine and almost broke his finger this summer, I realized I would have to do most of my sewing by hand and leave the machine work to naptime.
I do not like the feel of fusible web when I hand applique so I use mostly fleece because it doesn't fray. I have used flannel some, fray check it and then zigzag it on the machine.

I didn't like handwork before I discovered "appliqueing" fleece. Now I love handwork and actually find it relaxing, plus I can take it anywhere.

Rose Hall

Old 08-13-2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by billswife99
Those are great! What size seam did you use?
I cut my rag quilt blocks out with my die cut machine so they already have the fringe cut when I sew them together. With the fringe the blocks measure 8 inches. Without the fringe the block is 6 inches. It took awhile to get used to sewing the blocks together with the fringe "in the way", but I realized instead of using my walking foot to use my regular foot and it works much better. Also, everytime I start a new blanket I always put at least one set of blocks "right sides" together which is backwards in a rag quilt. As many as I've made by now I can't believe I still make that mistake!!!

Rose
Old 08-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Banned

Awwwww those are all so adoreable. I like the baby feet & babys with bibs
Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Rose, Thanks for the info ! They are so adorable and I would never have thought to do it that way :lol: I learn something here everyday !
Sharon
Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 AM

You have been very busy! I am jealous that you can accomplish so much in such a short time! Your son is adorable, love his eyes, beautiful face! I like the white and blue feet quilt the best, how sweet! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Rose,
You are one busy lady! A child this age and getting so much sewing done? I don't know how you did it. Honestly, you amazing!
Your little guy is adorable.