Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What should I use for an accent? HELP!

What should I use for an accent? HELP!

My next project (I swear!) is going to be a variation of the Jelly Roll Race pattern (see below for picture of one). This is a quilt for my dear neighbor & I want it to be nice (quick but nice.... shhhhh... don't tell her about the "quick" part). I like the look of the variation & think that not only will the addition of the accent fabric make it a little larger, it could also be the border (or binding, depending on how big the turns out). Anyway, I digress. I plan to use a"Hello, Luscious" jelly roll (also below) but just cannot for the life of me figure out what to use for said accent. HELP?!?! Please!

I hope this is the correct place to post this query. I wasn't sure if it should be here or on the "main" thread. I can't seem to make a single decision any more... LOL!

P. S: Also, do you think the red fabric in this collection is kinda jarring? I do, but...

Name:  jrr variation 2.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  24.9 KB
    Name:  hello luscious.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  224.6 KB
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

That is a hard set to pick an accent for. Maybe a solid white (or cream - whichever works best, I can't tell the background color on the few that look like the have a white/cream background)

Blog Entries
    Since you already think the red doesn't quite fit in , why not use it for the accent ?
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Blog Entries
    I would see if I could get yardage of one of the first 5 colors (the solid looking ones), then discard the the print strip that's too close. For instance, if you went with the red for the accent (3rd one in the first row) then i probably would not use the 4th strip in the 3rd row... too close in color and value.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Teal or pink.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    Since you already think the red doesn't quite fit in , why not use it for the accent ?
    Exactly what I was thinking. I think the two darker reds would make a lovely accent. Or use one as an accent and the other as a border or binding.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
    Teal or pink.
    A solid? A marble? See? I just am stumped! Tho I like this fabric for the gal I'm making the quilt for.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by qbquilts View Post
    That is a hard set to pick an accent for. Maybe a solid white (or cream - whichever works best, I can't tell the background color on the few that look like the have a white/cream background)
    I have a kind of creamy white with lime/olive small small small polka dots on it... yes? Or a solid?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    I thought about that... but a solid? A marble? As suggested by another board member, one of the red fabrics in the set?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I would see if I could get yardage of one of the first 5 colors (the solid looking ones), then discard the the print strip that's too close. For instance, if you went with the red for the accent (3rd one in the first row) then i probably would not use the 4th strip in the 3rd row... too close in color and value.
    Yes, I can get yardage. Do you think the red would be too much? Or just the punch it needs?

If I use a fabric from the collection as an accent, I won't use it in the body of the quilt.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Power Poster
    Good luck with it. Let us know what you choose!

Blog Entries
    I like the red too
    fatquarters

I think you need to tie the red in the quilt , to somewhere else on the quilt. So Red is my vote.

Blog Entries
    I would go with a solid, probably teel. Show us what you decided when you finish.
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

Blog Entries
    You could pick any one of the colors in 2 or 3 values darker and it would work I think. Just MHO.

What I see is the darker green in the pattern that is in the 3rd row, 2nd from the right. I know that darker color isn't in the set, but.... I think a narrow cream border with a wider green border. How's that for different!

I would go with either cream or white
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Blog Entries
    Love all the fabric in the roll. I would love either the red solid or green solid for the accent color. That red makes the fabrics pop and really look alive. The green gives more of a garden and gentle look. Which way is more suited for your friend? This is how I would decide. It is going to be awesome and I can't wait to see it finished.

I agree with Paperprincess to not use the red print and keep the red solid. Also, even though you think the red is a bit loud, It may just be out of your comfort zone and a small amount of red, just like the quilt pictured would make the quilt vibrant.
    peace
    Last edited by ube quilting; 04-26-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Personally I don't care for the red as an accent fabric. Maybe it looks good in person. I normally love red. I would look for a teal or the green that is in so many of the prints.

Blog Entries
    That's a pretty fabric collection. I think the red would make great accents and borders. If you can't find the same, you can always look for a similar colored marble fabric. Marbles blend well with just about anything.

What about fussy cutting some pink/red roses and using them as the accent?
    I've seen a 1600 inch quilt with a black and white geometric used as the accent, and one with purple, and one with white... let me see if I can attach the pics - if I saved them...
    Strictly my humble opinion, but I think several of those fabrics you plan on using are just plain boring, if not a little homely. Again, IMHO
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quilts and cats just go together!

I vote for white or cream for the accent and the border.

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    You could pick any one of the colors in 2 or 3 values darker and it would work I think. Just MHO.
    I agree. Though I'm not liking red with this fabric selection. And I also like the idea of the small cream/off white border then a larger one in the accent color. Can't wait to see pictures!
    Kelly

I really like Paper Princess ideas...the red would be the PERFECT punch the quilt would need, but don't use the deep red print or red solid in any other part of the quilt. It will be wonderful!

I think a real dark green or black would set it off real nice. Just what I think.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast