Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
what would you charge a client for this... >

what would you charge a client for this...

what would you charge a client for this...

Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 AM

ALOT! it's beautiful.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM

Also she is an artist and does freelance works as painting murals, illustrates things, etc.
Pokergal3

Wow.....are you kidding me?? Ask her what she considers fair price for her time and effort.....I guarantee she charges substantially more than $60 for 3 weeks wrth of work. Unbelievable......she obviously doesn't consider quilting an art (which it certainly is) and doesn't deserve your wall hanging.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Since when does the customer set the price? Would she walk into a store and try that? I am glad you are sticking by your price, and hope you are going to get the $126 PLUS what you spent on materials. It's little enough for that tedious work with suiting fabrics. Those fabrics were never meant to be cut up into small bits like our quilting cottons are. They are tough to work with.

I wouldn't give her anything back that is already sewn into the quilt-- only the excess fabrics. She entered into an agreement with you to use those to make a quilt she would buy, and if she doesn't buy it, it's yours.

I'd set the darned thing on fire before I'd take a mere $60 for it....
Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 AM

I agree that it was a verbal agreement. A workman is worthy of his hire. Have you discussed the reason as to why she is now saying $60? I would go into this deeper with her to find out the reason as to why and even if finances is an issue, let the wallhanging stay with you and allow her to make 2 or 3 payments to you until paid in full then she can take with her, just a thought.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 AM

It is so hard to be fair to yourself when pricing. So many people have not a clue as to what goes into the work we do. I am sorry I can't offer advice on pricing, but think you did an amazing job
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM

An added thought. I have seen these these of things happen to many of my friends. It is best to get an agreement first... I have even seen it where the customer for whatever reason decided they didn't like the end result and tried to get a much lower price or refuse altogether to pay
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM

It's a very beautiful design, and you did a great job! However, since you did not discuss price beforehand, experiences we all have had will point to your not getting a decent price for it. Giving up the better part of three weeks suggests several hundred dollars to start, which would certainly be fair, but be prepared for the client to not appreciate your time commitment with a monetary reward. And use this as a lesson for the next time.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. Unfortunately, people that don't quilt, don't have a clue about what goes into it. Personally, I wouldn't let it go for less then $300. You did a fabulous job. If people knew what goes into quilting, they would be willing to pay alot more. Good luck!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 AM

Quilt is absolutely beautiful! I would not let it out of my house unless she pays you the agreed-upon price. Why did you even give her a 20% discount?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:57 PM

This doesn't add up. You said she agreed to the $125 plus costs, and now she has had a change of heart. Does she not like it? Does she think it's too expensive? Honestly you did a beautiful job. I would not take the quilt apart!! But I would return the fabric and show her the front door and hopes it does or doesn't hit her in the ass on the way out!