Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's for Christmas and holiday gift giving?

Where did you find the lighted musical ornaments.....sounds like something my family would like!
    Ardelle
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains un-awakened."

I think this is a wonderful pattern for some lovely Christmas gifts, http://www.ttfabrics.com/patterns/do...n%20Layout.pdf I hope you agree as most of my class are making them for family members for the pressies.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I am making a quilt for DD and her boyfriend, plus holiday pillowcases. I will be making "Spicy Swirl" in holiday colors for lots of the other people on my list. 50 pair (so far I have 45 pair done) of pillow cases for the Indian reservation near here and raspberry jam. No ideas yet for Mom or Dad.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

For the kids' teachers I will be making some quilted or sewn baskets (I haven't decided which tutorial to use yet) and fill them with some school supplies or edibles depending on how well I know the teacher...
    For family, probably table runners, placemats or wall hangings. For my immediate family I'm hoping to make them each a quilt. Yeah, I know. That probably won't happen! I try to make my quilts double sided so that will be 6 tops to make, not 3..!

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Those are beautiful! Where did you find the pattern?
    I went to the above site but could not pull up any instructions...any suggestions????

This will be the first year I gift quilts to anyone. Typically I just make them and like them so much that I keep them, but this year I had quite the stack of tops going. So I have decided that if I am to gift any quilts they will be the ones that need quilting. Incentive to get the stack of tops manageable without the crazy of making more and adding to the pile. I do worry that they may not like them, but beggers can't be choosers. You asked for a quilt and forgot to tell me what colors and such so it then became my choice.... right.

I'm not making anything quilted for my father in law, since he appreciates practical gift baskets more. So, he is receiving a gift basket full of useful toiletry items. My last gift to him ended up on his couch for the dog to sleep on. LOL

My aunts are getting throw quilts, because they like quilts. One is currently in progress with a bunch of stars for the pattern.

My husband's cousin is getting married in the new year, so I'm thinking about making a quilt with their wedding details embroidered in mostly white. If I don't have the time to get that going, then I may cross-stitch a wedding picture.

I may make some small table runners for coworkers, or possibly a mug rug.

My husband and kids each have their own quilts already, so they will get something else.

i have no clue! i am working up placemats, table runners, potholders, etc, for a Christmas craft fair, hopefully i will have a pocket full of green for christmas! hubby and son both need quilts, i just need to get to working on them as well!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

I don't have a clue, but some of the ideas on this thread are really good, so may take some of them up to do.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    As always~~~~quilters have the best ideas!!! Thanks everyone!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...3B2AF8A6CC.png
    "A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." --D. Roberts

One of the most loved things I have made are the microwave bowls. There is a tute. You put them around the bowl before you put the bowl in the microwave. It is like a potholder already around it. if you aren't eating at the table, it helps you hold the bowl and not burn your hands. It also keeps the food warm longer. And if you are eating at a table, it is nice to have on a dish that passes to make it easier.

I have only had one problem giving them as gifts. I gave ONE to a family with TWO children and the children fought over it. This is my husband's favorite thing of all the things I have ever made. I have given away over 20 and have a lot of people on my list yet. And those I have given them to want more. Each member of the family seems to want their own
    DEB CAVAN

The puppy in the bathtub is for my husband. The butterfly is for my sister. The placemats for for a friend. Working on a quilt with teddy bears for my sister. That's not done yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

dd
    Potholders have been requested. My daughter wants PJ pants and my grandson is getting flannel pjs. Haven't decided on anyone else. Since I got fired, I should have plenty of time to work on them, right?
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Last Christmas I was sorry that I hadn't made myself some Christmas pillowcases, therefore, I think that's going to be my choice for gifts......maybe a couple table runners too.

Boston 1954 those are really nice!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

I am making some 10 minute table runners, pot holders using some of my orphan blocks, some mug rugs/snack mats, coffee cuffs, & scraves for a craft fair for a fund raiser for a sewing group. What doesn't sell will become gifts for family and friends. My SIL travels a lot and has requested some distinctive luggage tags. So I may make some for all my family. Each of my four adult children will receive scrap quilts for Christmas. Two down two to go. My goal this year is to try to use as many of my scraps as possible.

Sadly to say, but at the rate I am going this year, nothing. However there are two little girls who have already mentioned they can't wait till this Christmas to get the gifts Grandma will sew them. GULP... Last year at the last minute I decided to make them Super hero (well princess) capes. I made them out of their favorite colors Pink and lavender crushed velvet, and thick dark pink and purple satin linings. On the backs I sewed shiny silver crowns and their first initial in the color of their "sisters" cape. That way each girl had all the colors so there wouldn't be any fighting. Christmas day those capes were the big hit and they ignored most of their other gifts for the capes.
    I have no idea what to make them this year that might equal the excitement those capes caused. Any ideas? They are now 3 yrs old and 5 years old. And now they have a brand new baby boy cousin, and they will be expecting grandma to make him something wonderful.

Kat

Kat, the girls are the perfect ages for their own purses. I make them from little girl's jeans,that have embroidery on them, that I find at thrift stores. Cut just below crotch. Open out the seam and straighten the bottom. Seam closed and add handles and you are done. Of course you can embellish, line, make closures to make them extra special
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Gorgeous sharing, i have seen your link, which you are posted in this thread. I watched your star shape pillow cases, those are looking awesome and great work done by you. I like those items very much.

Wow very nice, i have seen your link, in that i found beautiful star shaped pillow cases, those are looking really awesome and amazing, those are perfect and best choice as Christmas gifts. Thanks for sharing with us.

For those of you that are looking for a free pattern for the quilted christmas balls, I have one here - http://mysimplewalk.com/quilted-chri...-ball-pattern/
    In a world where you can be anything, always be kind!
    Help protect your children, be honest about all medical problems and family medical history!

Ornaments I made that were a hit were gingerbread men. I put 2 pieces of light brown felt together and then traced around my cookie cutter and sewed around the shape. Next I cut about 1/4" away from the sewing line. Before I get to where I began the stitching, I used little pieces of stuffing and stuffed it then finished sewing. Then I went over the stitching with puff paint and used the puff paint for a hairline, eyes, nose, mouth, and buttons. My grandchildren are enjoying making them now. (I also made a garland using the gingerbread and small plastic apples.)
    Last edited by LivelyLady; 09-11-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: misspell
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I've got 8 purses made, 1 lap quilt, 10 mug rugs, 2 duffle bags, and 2 small throws and 2 lap mat covers......... but still many to go
    Patti

Blog Entries
    I sure would LOVE the pattern for the ornaments!!!:-)

I am going to be working on some lap quilts. Dh is going camping this weekend so he will be out of my hair all weekend. Only one to worry about is the dog so I have to move my sewing machine and ironing board up from the basement to the kitchen so I can make sure that the dog is not doing anything wrong. She will go up stairs but not down to the basement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast