Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Why Math is Important >

Why Math is Important

Why Math is Important

Old 05-03-2023, 09:44 AM

Default Why Math is Important

This is driving me NUTS!! Yes, sure - measure twice, cut once. Measured several times. Calculator, paper, pencil. I even laid the whole side out and made marks where to cut. No, did not forget the seam allowances. Anyhow, in the end and after much picking out and making of new pieces, I WILL prevail.

Do you ever have measurements that just seem to elude you?
Attached Thumbnails img_1954-copy.jpeg  
Old 05-03-2023, 10:06 AM

Happens to me all the time so you are not alone
Old 05-03-2023, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

The nice thing about quilting is that you can sneak in a little filler piece in the same fabric and it will all look great after quilting.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:19 AM

Ha, ha. Believe me, yes I have! recently I posted a pic of a quilt with hexagons with coffee prints. sigh. wanted to put a square in the corners of borders. That did not work out! I put it at the top of the border strip that was only cut the length of the quilt, not figuring in top and bottom border at all. sigh. So i finally did a half square in corner and left the square right under those. Looks like on purpose (hopefully). well it was really. I wasn't going to re-do that mistake. just wanted it done.
You can fix that, just think on it a bit.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:40 PM

All the time! Cute quilt!

Looks like you are off just the amount of "one" red strip. Did calculate for both the top and bottom red strip?
Old 05-03-2023, 12:49 PM

Thankfully if I'm having trouble with the math, I'll have my DH check it out for me. He was a Tool and Die maker before he retired, plus has a degree in Machine Tool Processing. He has needed to figure measurements thinner than the width of a human hair in thousandths of an inch.

I tell him what I'm looking for as an end result and he does all the measurments for my problem pieces. Note that with the measurements I need, I'm looking at fractions of an inch or above. LOL
Old 05-03-2023, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

I always add about an inch extra when doing borders. I use a pen to mark where the strip should end and pin and ease to get as close to the mark as possible. Most times I am only out about 1/4 inch and I cut off the extra. Different fabrics stretch at different rates.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
All the time! Cute quilt!

Looks like you are off just the amount of "one" red strip. Did calculate for both the top and bottom red strip?
That's what it looks like to me too Rhonda.
Old 05-04-2023, 03:44 AM

You are not alone. With me it all depends on which ruler I use (they are NOT all equal or accurate). Cute quilt top for a child...can I ask the patten name please?
Old 05-04-2023, 05:32 AM

Adorable quilt and yes, we have all done it at one time or another. Are you sure you measured both top and bottom seam allowances on the blue fabrics as it looks as if you are about 1" short, assuming the Winnie blocks are all consistent sizes?
Yes, you will prevail, but it sometime takes persistence and in the meantime is soooooo frustrating. Hang in there, you've got this.