Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Wondering what this is worth >

Wondering what this is worth

Wondering what this is worth

Old 05-01-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Even better, keep it on a guest bed, protected from sunlight.
There is only one bed in my house which is king size. I have no guest bedrooms.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:29 PM

You can just see poor Toby's thoughts at this strange behavior. Shouldn't mess with dog's minds like that, LOL. PS. that quilt is beautiful and packed with much hand work.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:32 PM

I would just lay it across the bottom of my bed.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 PM

OMG!!! I have to laugh...I also have this same quilt!!! Not sure what size it is (I'll have to check) but I bought it at a yard sale a few years ago for about $30. (I knew it was worth at least that much!) I just have it folded on a quilt rack and occasionally I hang it on my ever revolving quilt display wall. Mine has one small hole in it which I suppose I should fix. I don't know what the value is but greatly appreciated the handwork that went into it. I think it must have been a kit or one of those newspaper patterns from about the 30's. If you find any info about this, please PM me, I'd love to learn more.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM

beautiful quilt. It should not be stored in a plastic bag. I have always been told to store quilts in muslin or a pillow case. The plastic bag will damage the fabric.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Thank you for the tip on storage, I will take it out of the plastic. Untill I joined this group, I didn't know about the plastic.
Quilted Horse, I'm pretty sure it was a kit. I used to get Herrschners catalog and think I remember seeing in one. Also, you can still see some of the blue print where the x's are for the embroidery.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 PM

It's beautiful. Check with your local quilt guild to see if they can hook you up with a person who does quilt appraising. They usually charge a nominal fee. My quilt guild had an appraiser come to judge a county fair and she gave appraisals while she was there. Your quilt won't have to leave your sight.

Please remember that plastic bags keeps moisture in. If it is stored lets say in an attic, the heat would cause moisture to bead on the inside of the bag. It could ruin the quilt.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by CindyinNY
Years ago, I won a raffle at our church bazzar for two twin size quilts. It is cross stitched and hand quilted. I made the mistake of letting my son use one and it got ruined but I still have the other one. It's been in a zipped plastic bag and in my attic for years.
I don't have a need for it since we don't have twin size beds anymore. I'm thinking of selling it.
Its beautiful! I wouldn't store it in plastic some guild members have and when they pulled it out it smelled awful. I'm sure that it is not always the case but that's such a beautiful quilt it would be a shame
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM

I had to do a double take looking at your DH. I could have sworn that was my son laying there. How strange is that? They say everyone has a double in this world. I now know where my DS's is at. Your DH's double lives in Idaho. Your quilt is beautiful.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:41 PM

No advice. Nice quilt and the embroidery looks like good work. Someone somewhere will want it I am sure.